QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

12 Days of 2012 - 6 - Passion

And so we continue with my favorite art of 2012. I figured Passion was a good note to start the year on: "Enthusiasm for the beauty of life helps to keep the brain alive" (bird watcher Lawrence Kilham) is my mantra, but it's been a struggle to get back. Art helps. Like watching Doctor Who, a character driven by unbridled enthusiasm for the universe.




In music, nothing excited me more than Macklemore and Lewis. Earlier this year I played you their sex marriage song, and their ode to thrift stores. But my FAVE is "My Oh My -- an ode to baseball, the Seattle Mariners' 1995 win, and famous sportscaster Niehaus, who used to exclaim "My oh my!" Also about childhood, and Seattle, and life.

But it could be about the phone book and he'd still have me in tears by the end because the production is gorgeous, and Macklemore's enthusiasm completely infectious. Watch the video, you'll love it.



____
Also loved...

Nicki Minaj - Freedom

Alicia Keys - Girl on Fire

P!nk - The King is Dead but the Queen is Alive (hard to dislike "ra ra ra sis boom fucking ba")

Frank Stallone - Far From Over (Pure 80s cheese, but you gotta love the sentiment)

Lovin' Spoonful - Do You Believe in Magic (rocking out on the autoharp!)

Lucinda Williams - Passionate Kisses

Gotye or Walk Off the Earth - Somebody That I Used to Know

   

4 comments:

Skye said...

Passion is an essential part of joy and living an authentic life. But passion makes us vulnerable, as does exposing or expressing that passion, which makes it difficult for some of us (me).

Here's to having a passionate 2013!

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

You made it to 100! Congrats.

Robena Grant said...

Yay you, on all that reading! I think you beat me by a few, but not too many.
Yeah, passion is good, and necessary because we need a little fire in our lives to balance us. But I prefer to keep my passions to things rather than people. ; )

London Mabel said...

@Skye - You're so right. We want to express passion about something, but then worry what others will think--do we appear naive, or foolish, or having bad taste?

@JJJ - Thanks!

@Robena - Congrats to you too then!

Re passion for people - I don't believe it! I've seen you passionate about your neighbor Betty, your kids, fellow writers... :-D

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}