QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The gutsies

My old roomie was once studying a book on becoming a dog trainer, and it was making the point that every student needs something different. You have to change your style to suit the student, not vice versa. That reminded us of the difference in how you treat your dogs too. One day she was disciplining her tough dog, Tonga, and just the sound of her raised voice made her other dog, Puppy, pee herself! Delyriam felt terrible.

Somehow this translated into my work as a manager. Some staff members you had to be tough with, but others needed only the gentlest of reminders. And that's how I am--friend Maewitch and I always referred to it as: We're the puppy who pees. If you give me a rule and I'm still not following it, then I've misunderstood something--I'm not being sassy. When I would get in trouble at work, it would ruin the rest of my evening. I'd feel sick in the stomach every time I thought of it.

That job things eventually reached a sticky end, and one day I was standing at a bus stop, 7 AM, having been awake all night, and I had that Sick Feeling in my guts. And then I thought: I didn't want this job anymore, anyway. Why do I feel bad? I am not, not, going to go around with Le Sick Feeling anymore. I am not going to let this infect all my days and nights!

And the S.F. went away.

And I was like: Holy shit. How did I just do that?

Over the next few months I didn't maintain this sense of calm all the time; but I was in a much better state than I would have been years before (I was growing up!) And since then I have tried to re-find that place and battle the gutsies, which is why I love meditation so much. Cause when you detach from a situation, those roiling emotions dissipate.

At my new job, so far all is fine. When I'm told about the correct way to do something, it's nicely, politely. (I haven't been there long enough for A Grievous Error.) But last week I did have my first experience of being corrected (nicely) for something I didn't think I had control over (shop lifting while I was busy on the cash.) So I got the gutsies.

But it really wasn't a big deal. No one was mad at me. I was given advice, and then we all moved on. Except I was unable to. And I thought: This is what I get for being sleep deprived! I'd only had 4-5 hours each night that week, and I could tell it was making me more sensitive, less in control. I grew increasingly grumpy, not at the situation, but at my reaction to it, and my inability to get to bed on time.

!!

At home that night I isolated myself, and meditated a few times, until finally--like when my drugs take effect and a migraine goes away--the feeling left me. I felt perfectly fine again. Hasn't bothered me since. The combined effects of getting older, and meditation, won the day.

But that's when I decided I had to work on this bedtime thing, cause it interferes with my ability to non-attach. And non-attachment is, like, my goal for the next decade. No more twisting myself into knots, or having my evening ruined, by a JOB.

So that's the long explanation of my 2013 resolution. ;-)

Now for another fave song of 2012, cause it perfectly embodies how I feel when I release sticky emotions: The very short theme from Hart of Dixie.



PS - I should add that all of this is just plain complicated by the depressions. Though I think I'm feeling better lately, I'm still very low on emotional resilience. Which, in and of itself, is depressing.
  

5 comments:

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

Okay - I know that you are not at the divorce stage yet and maybe won't be, but even so, it is definitely understandable that you would have some situational depression. And feeling a little vulnerable goes along with that.
Also, I don't know about you, but the thing that effected me most, was the end of the dream of a happy marriage. It was so very draining.
I urge you to be oh so gentle with yourself.
I'm really glad that meditation is helping you so much.
Did you know that in traditional chinese medicine, there is a list of things they try before anything invasive and meditation is near the top of that list?
If you are a person who can enjoy or even just tolerate a massage, sometimes that can work emotion out of your muscles. Massage is also on the list.

Skye said...

Sorry you have the depression. Keep reminding yourself that it is like and illness and it is not who you are.

Glad the meditation helps. I need to get myself to meditate every day, for at least some of it. I know it would help me a lot.

I understand about the sick feeling over being corrected. I hate to do anything wrong. I hate owning up to doing anything wrong. I hate having to deal with consequences of anything wrong. I'm the dog who hides the mess and then pees when confronted. :)

Sending you FGBVs.

widdershins said...

... and the worstest thing is, when our brains got on that gerbil wheel, we punish ourselfs over and over, for something we more-than-likely didn't even do!

Meditation works for me too, as does doing something physical. If the knees allow, I like to take my bicycle out for a spin. Even dancing in my super-duper wheelie office chair to 'jukebox favourites' on CBC radio 3, with my fluffy slippers on, helps.

Widder cat has left the room though. Some things are just too undignified to watch!

Big hugs for the hard times, Miss Mabel ... and the good times too.

widdershins said...

Way to comment on the topic, Anon ... Are you from Spamville perchance?

London Mabel said...

@JJJ - Oh yes, I should have mentioned--the depressions are at the base of this. I have less emotional reserve. So I'm trying to not make it worse with lack of sleep. (And um eating too much sugar... well... let's just take this one thing at a time.)

@ Skye - lol -- Part of the pondering is always about "is this me? or the depressions?" It's hard to tell sometimes cause I'm in a new city, new job, new situation. It's hard to compare when you can't "control for" these things. ;-)

@widders - Exactly, I'm trying to stop the wheel.

Oh Widdercat... when will we see a picture of you??

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}