QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, January 12, 2013

12 Days of 2012 - 8 - Cover Songs & Gimme the beat!

A few more fave songs in 2012...

COVER SONGS

As ever, my criteria is that I got a new appreciation or understanding of the song because of the cover.

"Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" - Amy Winehouse  Perfection. Love this rendition. (See Shirelle's original here.) Same message, but slowed down, rendered more tender and vulnerable.



"You're the One That I Want" - The Lennings  (I can't embed, so go here. Original from Grease here.) Song about teen sex turned into intense love song.
This power you're supplying... is electrifying


Also:
The Voice contestant cover of "Pumped Up Kicks"
Pool Mashup from the movie Pitch Perfect
Walk Off the Earth's famous guitar cover of "Somebody That I Used to Know"
Boyz II Men singing the theme song for the show Psych
Tori Amos "I'm On Fire"


 THE BEAT

Not dance songs exactly, but songs with a strong beat that sort of drum on your ribcage.

"Otherside"  Another brilliant Macklemore & Lewis, this time about drug addiction.
Swore I was goin' to be someone
And growing up everyone always does
We sell our dreams and our potential
To escape through that buzz




"What I Wouldn't Do" Serena Ryder finally made the album I've been waiting for from her. Love the driving beat on this, matching the urgency of her love declaration.
The current grows stronger
I fall in your water
Forget everything I knew




Also:
Emeli Sandé - "Next to Me"
Ingrid Michaelson - "Fire" 
The Alabama Shakes' hit: "Hold On"

    

2 comments:

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

Love that Serena Ryder song. Gonna put it on my ipod and check her for more. That's a pool workout beat.
Another one is Home by Phillip Phillips. Have you heard it?
Love everything Alabama Shakes.
Have you seen Moonrise Kingdom? So very good!

London Mabel said...

I have HOme -- first good "American Idol winner song" they've ever had.

I don't go out to movies much, but will keep Moonrise in mind for when rental's come around. Silver Linings Playbook too. And Hobbit.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}