QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Monday, August 5, 2013

My fears embodied in a yellowjacket

The summer before I came out to Nanaimo there seemed to be more hornets around than usual. I could rarely open my balcony door, cause the bastards kept flying in. And I'm sceert of them!

But I was afraid of a lot of things that summer, so I couldn't help feeling like I was stuck in some damned novelist's symbolism. Pathetic fallacy. My fears embodied. I'd resentfully feel like I was attracting them.

Which is why I love this scene from The Trip--a faux documentary of two Brit actors on a restaurant tour. (It was a show in England, spliced into a movie for the US.)

 

Now whenever Stepmommy and I are trying to get something done and it's going wrong I shout: "You're stuck in a metaphor!"

 

2 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

It's good to have something meaningful to shout at those times. Satisfying somehow.

Skye said...

Plus, it's something fun to shout out!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}