QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Falling for Fall?

 I feel like I know so many people who love Fall, but it's just not my thing. Probably because I've been cold my whole life. The only thing I like is that you can wear the biggest % of your wardrobe. But you can do that in Spring! So forget you, Fall.

I do, however, understand this sentiment (passed to me by Ms Brownlow):

“October is a fine and dangerous season in America. It is dry and cool and the land is wild with red and gold and crimson, and all the lassitudes of August have seeped out of your blood, and you are full of ambition. It is a wonderful time to begin anything at all. You go to college and every course in the catalogue looks wonderful. The names of the subjects seem to lay open the way to a new world. Your arms are full of new, clean notebooks, waiting to be filled. You pass through the doors of the library and the smell of thousands of well-kept books makes your head swim with a clean and subtle pleasure. You have a new hat, a new sweater, perhaps, or a whole new suit. Even the nickels and the quarters in your pocket feel new, and the buildings shine in the glorious sun.”
—     Thomas Merton, The Seven Storey Mountain


And I get a bit of "ooh la la" from the feeling of Nanowrimo coming on, whether I'm participating or not. The nano folk did a good thing in taking such a drab month and attaching some fun to it.

8 comments:

Skye said...

I have a love/hate affair with Fall. I love all the things that were said in the quote. But I hate being cold. I hate winter, and Autumn is the gateway to Winter.

But I'm trying to adapt back to this climate and be happy being here, so I'm trying to adapt to the rain and the cold and the gray. (Thank gods for my light box!)

I recommend flannel sheets (I sleep so much better between them than even high thread count cotton), silk long underwear, and fuzzy socks for indoors. And a cobalt blue beret! (I just found another one; my old one was "lost" with the other stuff that disappeared in the move my friends oversaw when I was home with my mom in Oregon). It's warm and it makes me happy.

Good luck with getting and staying warm. I've been thinking of you.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Funny but I don't like fall either. Even the colors annoy me. Now I like Halloween orange and black but otherwise...
I have my desk decorated for Halloween and I'm happy but I'm not looking forward to after Halloween because Tgiving decs are either offensive overeating or reminders-that-we-stole-Indian-land shit or they are yucky fall stuff.

Simone said...

Fall is THE BOMB!

Autumn all the day. Word.

widdershins said...

Perhaps it's because I grew up in a country that didn't have a 'Fall' season - it just got a little cooler and the days a bit shorter - but I love a having real, visible, colourful season between summer, which I abhor (probably because of all those years in OZ) and Winter, which has SNOW and frozen Widderlakes, and everything!

London Mabel said...

@Skye - Yes, flannel sheets are a must.

@JJJ - Alright, possibly you hate it more than I do! Impressive

@Simone - I know you do. You are fuul.

@widders - I suppose you have something closer to a real winter where you are now? Don't move any further west.

London Mabel said...

That is to say, east.

Anonymous said...

I can't recall EVER liking this season. It starts with my birthday (first week of September), the Labor Day weekend (signifying end of summer), back to school (long sad story there), and just goes downhill after that.

In recent years I've become more accepting of ALL the seasons, and recognized that they DO have their place. I just don't have to like 'em.
Julie
(who begins the countdown-to-spring on the first day of autumn)

London Mabel said...

@Urtha - Yay! Team Spring! (Though here on the west coast, my idea of spring was really summer)

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}