QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Remember when "mission statements" were all the rage?

Hart of Dixie is my unguilty guilty pleasure, and last year it helped me understand my goals as a writer. It's a New York fish out of water in small Southern town show, not very sophisticated, quite silly, with lots of cute characters and romances. And it helped me escape my troubles last year. In fact, when I quit Nanowrimo last November, I spent my nights catching up on all the old episodes. I will always associate it with heartbreak-copism.

Reminds me of the summer when I first really got into Heyer and Wodehouse. No heartbreak, but I had a job I hated as a student painter, and all I wanted to do each lunch hour, and every evening after work was FORGET. Cheerful, funny books that helped pass the time until life got better again. Survival via escapism.

I want to write books that serve that purpose. My aim isn't to move people, or make them cry, or make them think. It's to make them forget. If they have something needs forgetting.

Ooh, a slogan! "London Mabel Books: Amnesia for Your Shitty Life."


5 comments:

Skye said...

According to all the experts, branding is key. Now you've targeted your brand! The rest should be easy-peasy. :)

I, too, want to write for people who just want to immerse themselves in a story and leave the real world behind for a bit.

widdershins said...

I think that's what every writer aims for ... it seems you have found your niche. The rest is easy!

My username at NaNo is 'Widder' (surprising, no?) if you want to play.

London Mabel said...

@Skye - Yeah, easy-peasy. Right. ;-)

@widder - Maybe I should be more specific. Not just to help people forget, but in a cheerful way. When I was depressed I couldn't watch things like Game of Thrones--which might be enthralling, but still dark. Even Doc Who was too serious for my frame of mind. I was on a steady diet of soufflé (as Fry called Wodehouse's books.)

But I would argue that some authors--like literary authors--aren't really aiming to have you lose yourself, forget your life, forget your sorrows etc. Some authors want you to think about shit.

And I have buddied you on Nano!

widdershins said...

I agree, but does one have to be miserable/scared/depressed to think about shit? Can one not be happy, lost, contemplative, ans think about shit.

I'm not watching GoT either, 'cos I want to read the books first, if GRRM finishes them before he croaks! ... and I have a vivid enough imagination that I don't need to see it all laid out in front of me in technicolour detail.

. . . will go check out NaNo poste-haste!

London Mabel said...

My answer's getting long, better save it for a post!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}