QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Friday, October 4, 2013

If I ever write the f****r

So I'm afraid my story won't be funny or interesting. I somehow worry that my funny is broken. In my writing.

But sometimes I'll make someone at work laugh and that helps, especially when I think I was only mildly amusing. Twice this week I had customers comment on me making a good joke. It helped. I told myself: I can do this, I can make my new book funny.

(If I ever write the fucker.)

4 comments:

Skye said...

You'll write the fucker and your funny only seems broken. You've had a stressful time and that makes it seem like you aren't funny anymore and that you can't write. I know. I have a novel that is finished in first draft and I've been too anxious to take the next step and revise the thing. But I will start next week when I return from my mini-vacation to the coast.

You can do it. I can do it. We can do it. Hell, we can even email and IM each other for support if you like. I know I'd like that. (Being in different countries makes phone calls and texts a bit too expensive.)

If you want to IM, just email me. And if you need to actually talk sometime, then damn the phone charges. Or I can add Canada to my calling plan!

Let me know. I care and want to support you in any way I can. *hugs*

widdershins said...

There's only one way to find out ... write the fucker!

Do you have an outline, ready to go, for NaNo?

Outlines don't have to be funny, they just have to be like a road map. The funnies will come when you start on the journey. Analogy: there isn't a Timmies at home (Timmies being the 'funnies') but once you start driving, you start seeing 'em everywhere.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I am stealing that and making it the end of all my sentences about my current wip - if I ever write the fucker.
I'm right with you sistah!

London Mabel said...

@Skye - You're right, we shall prevail! (Don't worry, I'm not a phone-er. But maybe some lolcat emails...)

@widders - Love your analogy. OUtlining and research hasn't been so hard--except I wasn't coming up with stuff I loved enough, with characters who have a purpose etc. So when I'd start to write I wouldn't get further than 10 pages.

I'm trying to fix that. So yes, I am outlining right now.

@JJJ - Better yet, add it to the end of completely unrelated sentences.


Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}