QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Getting rough with my plot

Tempts me every year. Cause as November approaches and they send out emails and prep the web site and people you know start saying they're gonna do it... it feels like a holiday is coming! It really does. I get excited. And it's something that turns bla November into something sparkly. It's Writing Christmas!

I'm still plotting my novel. Right now I'm focusing on two elements that I hope will make this story writeable:

(a) Working out every important plot point. I might come up with better ideas once I'm writing, but I need to start with really solid ones in case I don't. I've come up with all kinds of character motivations etc for this story, but sometimes they've felt flat to me. So now I'm pushing and shoving this plot around until the RIGHT ideas emerge. Strong and clear motivations. Sense of urgency/deadlines for the characters. Important things at stake. Torturing my peoples. I want all those strong elements of plot to be in place, and not the "hmm let's try this" ok ones.

(b) I want to work the Comic Set Pieces. Not the details, just the premises. In a comedy novel the comic set pieces are the equivalent of big action sequences in action flicks. They anchor the story and get people excited. If you look at Bridesmaids' set pieces you see this:
* What if they were all trying on dresses in a high end shop and were hit with diarrhea?
* What if they were on a plane and the protagonist got drunk and out of control?
* What if the protagonist lost it at her best friend's shower?
* The love interest has totally cut her off but she now needs his help. How does she get his attention? [That was my favorite one--see video at the end of this post.]

You don't need to plan the details for those scenes. The scenes need to further the plot (which even the diarrhea scene does, which is why I have to admire it), but you can go hog wild and have fun with how it plays out. And these are the scenes you'll feel excited about writing--they propel you. Or they should. If they're good enough.

So this is what I'm up to right now. Already some much better ideas have emerged.

Chris O'Dowd is ADORABLE. Also love him in The IT Crowd.

3 comments:

Skye said...

I love the idea of your getting tough with your plot! I kind of imagine you standing over your plot with a whip or a riding crop .... Um, different kind of story. ;)

I let my characters and "plot" ride roughshod over me in the first draft. It's time to turn that around for the rewrite/revision.

Good luck to you for Nano. I will not be participating: it has always ended after a week or less and it stresses me out. :)

widdershins said...

Getting attention ... ya gotta do whatevah it takes!

London Mabel said...

(Picture me taking the plot into the alley and beating the crap out of it.)

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}