QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Candy crush, solitaire, Dr Katz, facebook, and my year of change

Nano is off to a slow start, though probably better than previous years. I bring my ipad to work and write about 400 words on my breaks. Then I get home and watch a show or two, debating on facebook [the good kind], watch Dr Katz on youtube, read email, play solitaire, play candy crush... It's so vair vair sad.

The first couple days were the hardest. I actually had Sun-Mon off (don't always have two days off in a row) but it's like I was having flashbacks to last November when Fernando and I broke up, or something. I'd be listening to songs while writing, or collecting songs for my playlists, and hit on some break up song and feel BLEH.

Then I noticed my meditation book and remembered that if I meditate sometimes, even for one minute, it will help relieve this stress. And I reminded myself that even if I write 400 words/day and don't complete nano, or have a big Race to the Finish, that's OKAY. So I meditated, I accepted... and the poopiness lifted.

If home is where the heart is, then it explains why I feel displaced. I can't imagine how devastating it must be to be an actual Displaced Person. But I can see things I'm still learning or experiencing by being here. So it's all good. Meditate and accept.

This calls for a song! Here are the Canadian sisters who play the daughters of a country star on my fave show Nashville.

I belong with you
You belong with me
You're my sweetheart

2 comments:

Skye said...

Well at least you are writing those 400 words a day. If you decide to give up one of your evening activities, then you add a few hundred words more, yet keep most of your evening activities.

Right now, I am very focused on preparing to write a screenplay for the 48-hour Film Project, Horror, in Seattle this weekend. Woo hoo! Write a very short screenplay on Friday night, tweak it Saturday morning, it gets filmed all of Saturday, then edited and music, sound effects, special effects added on Sunday, and turned in by 7:30 Sunday evening. Awards and film showings on Tuesday night. Fast and furious, supposed to be both stressful and fun.

After that, perhaps my creativity well will have filled back up and I can begin back on my novel!

London Mabel said...

Oh your project sounds fun!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}