QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Still counts! (Counting up to 50 000)

So I have a teeny bit of Nano Advice for nanowrimo-ing.

Strikethrough is your friend friend. The goal is to rewrite and edit as little as possible, cause that's part of the process. Learning to power through on a first draft. But sometimes I just really need to take something out! Just a wee bit! So now I use strikethrough, and it doesn't change the word count. So that when I edit the book later, I can find the things that really need removing. ...I think it counts, man. The words did get written, after all. They must count. ;-)

If there are whole sections to take out, then I just bold them or something. Set them apart visually.

Also, if I change ideas on something partway through, I don't go back and edit the stuff that's no longer relevant. I just start writing as though that's what I'd been doing all along. (Though going back and ADDING stuff is always cool!)

Froggy AuntB was saying in Comments that she's contemplating changing to a different story. I say, if she does, to make sure to keep the original words/story. What do you think Dallas dream sequences are for? Just start the new story like this:

Claudette woke up with a start. "Wow... weird dream."

Then start the new story. As Akon once sang: "Still counts!"

(Don't forget to add a blog widget! My dad reminded me today.)


She kept lookin' at her watch
(Doesn't matter, had sex)
But I cried the whole time
(Doesn't matter, had sex)
I think she might've been a racist
(Doesn't matter, had sex)
She put a bag on my head
(Still counts!)


5 comments:

widdershins said...

I agree ... that's the whole point of the game! ... I haven't quite got up to my daily total of 3500 yet, but I'm close.

We smellsss it, my Presioussss!

BarbN said...

thanks, Mabel! (also added another comment to yesterday)

Skye said...

Totally counts. Hell, add in your grocery list and it not only totally counts but it could be an inspiration for character!

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I didn't listen to the whole song but the lyrics you gave were FUUUNNEEE.
You go nanogirl. Now see if I had strikethrough I would strikethrough nanogirl and put nanowoman.

London Mabel said...

Shopping list, that's a good one. "Claudette opened the first bag and pulled out three tomatoes, one box of Cheerios..."

I once had three characters dressing to go to the races, and I described all their outfits in GREAT detail.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}