QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Damn car

I hate to confess it but, besides the convenience, there are some random perks that come with car ownership.

One is the ability to give someone a lift. Friends and coworkers and family gave me so many lifts over the last 20 years, it feels nice to pay it back. And Nanaimo is the kind of place where strangers at a thrift store will offer to take someone home who's got a crap load of stuff to carry. I was able to give one young woman a lift home, and finally found a use for those two camping mattresses I bought to sleep on the floor here. (She and her bf didn't have mattresses yet.)

The other perk is that I listen to radio, and discover new songs faster than I used to. Looks like the "Inner Ninja" guy might be more than a one hit wonder.


2 comments:

Skye said...

Except for a brief period when I went back to college and then for a bit afterward, I've owned cars since I was 17. I like the freedom to go where I want when i want. I also LOVE being able to carry people and stuff in my car, which is why I loved my Subaru Imprezas: they carried much more stuff than one would expect. My mom's RAV4 carries less than my Subarus did. But it is a good car with low mileage and I cannot buy a different car anyway, so I'm keeping it.

It's great that having a car allows you to give back and feel good about what you can do with having a car.

London Mabel said...

Until I have car trouble... then I start disliking them again.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}