QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Writing Corner: Updated

I had to turn my desk in a different direction recently--there's a rolltop desk in my room now. Yes, there's too much stuff. Anyway. 

I discovered I liked my new spot, able to see Kitteh on Heater as well as watch everyone taking their dogs out to pee. Possibly I also like that I can't see over the rolltop desk and book case next to me to see my messy room, or see behind me...
 
 My bookcase of England books (complete with bowler hat, stuffed rats, and Tom Servo.) But because it's next to the washer and dryer, I've been using it to sort clothes and drape clothes that need to be hung up. ...Possibly this should be my next project.

Anyway, my new corner was surprisingly practical, but looked ugly. So I moved a bookcase, and tossed up some decor. Here's the new corner.

On the chair is a sweater, and under the desk is a blanky. 
I haven't yet had to bring out the space heater and fingerless gloves.

Rolltop desk to the right. Pencils, pens, pic of old cats.
And a mini Calico on top.

View of the parking lot.

Found a use for my thesaurus, crossword dictionary, quotations dictionary, Chicago Manual of Style, and the two English dictionaries my grandfather gave me when I started my first degree in 1993. (I need the computer screen to be eye level.)
  
Also pictured: My 2nd hand but came in its original plastic Tsimshian Treasures--research for my book. About a collection of west coast artifacts that ended up in Great Britain, and were repatriated (to Canada, not to the Tsimshian people.)

A little purple flair for the book case.

Ergonomics: Adjustable chair, pullout keyboard.

Night View

Mega mug full of milky mint tea.

Realized we were missing some decor. So added Oscar and 3 postcards I bought in London, to the shelf with the writing books.

Créations Li dude and tea lights for the shelf with research for this and the next book.

Speaking of Li--the writing smurf she gave me years ago.

And for the kittons... a blanket for Minion to land on when she falls asleep on the heater and falls off.

The nearby shelf with boxes of my grandfather's papers (and an article about the room at the University of Alberta that they named after him) which Minion likes to lounge on. I assume she communes with his spirit up there.

One of her throughways. 

A rare visit from Haley. 

Minion checking out the new setup. Dost thou approve madam?

She doth.
 
    

9 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

A Minion approval is more important than the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval. You scored!
Looks like a comfy, charming place to work.

Delia said...

LOL It's good she doth. You've carved out a lovely niche for yourself there. I love Oscar, too. :)

gmc said...

fwiw ... I've probably told you already...After some getting used to, I now fully enjoy and endorse my ergonomic keyboard. Not having to scrunch my shoulders, elbows, writs to align myself to a square, traditional keyboard just feels 'right.' But it does take a while.

gmc said...

Nice cozy set up. My writing table now must include space for Philea the African Gray, to sleep on my knee in the glow from the heater.

Judie said...

ahaha I'm glad she doth or there would be much misery.

Awesome set up.

nancy said...

I love the way you've placed your writing desk now. And I love that you have a tree outside your window. That will be wonderful as it comes into bud shortly.

You've made an excellent start in getting it all arranged so that you can work efficiently and with inspiration. So glad you provided for Minion in your plans. She may see herself as your muse, you know.

And the washer and drier are right there. Very efficient.
Pehaps you can fold clothes while trying to think of the perfect phrase, or times when you're stuck. Consider it to be a useful diversion, a part of your writing routine. Might work.

CiCi said...

Love the new set up. Where did the new lovely roll top come from? So glad to see both the catz at their eze in yr new room. Maybe you could just put the clean, folded clothes under the mat on the floor so there'd be more padding for Minion's fallz? lol

widdershins said...

Nice!

London Mabel said...

@ JJJ - Minion does have exacting standards. Phew!

@Delia - I got Oscar at a theater festival when they were putting on a Wilde play. I so love both Wilde and the dolly.

@gmc When I was replenisher I bought an ergo keyboard to use at work, and then mocked when other people needed to use that computer and cursed it!

@Judie - Minion's fully capable of destroying something she doesn't approve of.

@Nancy - It's a great tree, I love it. As do the cats, for it affords much bird watch-ahj.

@CiCi - Good laundry plan. The rolltop was dad's, which Paul took when they moved. And then I took when he moved!

@widder - Thanks! Now I need a picture of your corner!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}