QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Bitten by birdie-love

Sometimes I start writing a heavy deep post, and I mostly finish it, and by the time it needs editing I'm too tired. Which happened again tonight. This stuff is all piling up in Drafts.

So how about some pics instead?

This is Philea the African Grey. My parents' first bird was a lovebird named Agape, but she passed on a couple years ago. There's a third, but we'll look at her later.

Philea is a very smart, determined, excitable little parrot.

This is her cave, on the counter. You can't leave a glass on this counter cause she'll throw it on the floor. Actually you can't use glasses in general, she attacks them. Mugs are ok.

 Blurred head because she's dancing. She likes to dance.

Step-mommy dancing and singing with her.

She loves hot water but is only allowed 4 sips or else she'll vomit it.

Often when I make my tea she reasonably expects me to put the tap on for her.

Pregnant with bird.

My first Philea bite. I was alone with her and was slowly giving her time to get off a cupboard I was closing (long story) and she leapt! onto my thumb and dug her beak in real deep. I've now learned that when I want to distract her from something naughty, I put some milk in a spoon and tempt her away. (She likes to drink the milk from one's cereal. Coconut, rice, soy, any kind.)

This is the Father's lap. She is crazy about him. Likes to sit on his leg under the table and chill.

Playing Hide the Bird.


Playing on the stairs with Chara Timio (to be featured next time.)

She's dragged talking-Cookie-monster to her cave and is beating the crap out of him.

Scratches on the ruff of the neck.  She looks like an angel, and not like the bird who bit my ear the other week. (I was deciding which cereal to eat and she flew on my shoulder and, well, I guess she didn't approve my choice. She's been behaving since, though. Getting used to me.)

NOTE: Parrots are lovely, but they should NOT be kept as companion animals. The birds breeders use originate from the illegal trafficking in birds. 

They're used to living in large, noisy flocks, not little homes. They can live 60 + years (as African Greys do), they're ear-splittingly loud, they need a lot of attention, they need toys and stimulation and play, they do not poop in a litter box, they often destroy your home (if a beak can open a nut, imagine what else it can do!) they're messy eaters, and they have sharp beaks which some species are not afraid to use which makes it hard to leave them with a sitter. (See these posters here.)

For all these reasons, dozens of parrots end up in the local parrot refuge every year, many sick, injured, poorly cared for, lonely. They can be happy in captivity as my parents' birds are, but it takes WORK. And really the breeding and capturing of them should be stopped.
    

9 comments:

Judie said...

Oh my gosh...
I love the dancing and hell, I'd kick Cookie Monster's a$$ too if I had a chance. Look at my hips Cookie Monster, just look!!

Birds are not for 'regular' folk. Takes a lot of love and time.

Enjoyed the post.
Sorry 'bout the finger.

Mary Stella said...

Very entertaining post. Very entertaining bird.

You're so right about the amount of care and attention birds require. we have several at the center where at work that either outlived their owners or were too much for their owners to handle. One, a sulfur crested cockatoo, caused over $10,000 in damage to his owner's condo. He's also an escape artist which is why we have to double-lock his portion of the aviary.

Robena Grant said...

Sorry about the love bites. : 0
Some time ago, a new neighbor had a parrot but I didn't know that. As I'd walk by I'd hear wolf whistles, and always there was an old man seen through the kitchen window. I was getting pretty ticked off until I walked by one morning and the bird was in it's cage on the patio. We became good friends and he was always selective, but he'd have conversations with me. The bird. Not the old man. : )

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

This is another of the many things I bite my tongue about. At work there is a girl who talks about the dog that she and her boyfriend just paid hundreds of dollars for and the other dog they want to buy. Last week she was helping another guy look for a dog to buy. I wanted to turn around and say to them, your ignorance and selfishness will result in many dog deaths; 3 because you could have adopted dogs and many more because you are promoting breeding.
Then they started talking about the new practice of keeping foxes as pets...
I'm lucky I still have a tongue.

Cheryl Rutherford said...

Hi! Just wanted to say I enjoyed your post and the photos of Philea. :D

I also wanted to thank you for mentioning the Parrot Posters. Much appreciated. Thanks to people like you, others will see what it really takes to have a parrot in a human home (and why so many of them end up in rescues).

London Mabel said...

@Judie - lolzzz you're right, Cookie had it coming!

@Mary Stella - Oh your cockatoo sounds like a little genius! They're such clever, wonderful beasties.

@JJJ - It's hard to always know how to "evangelize" to people. I tried to convince a work buddy not to get his cat declawed, but failed. hapoo.

@Cheryl - My dad sent me your posters and I think they're BRILLIANT. Will definitely continue to share them.

widdershins said...

That's one helluva bite!

And I thought cat claw punctures and bites were nasty!

Kris said...

I'm always delighted by the personalities of birds.
We had lovebirds for years, I think we got them when I was about 4 and they didn't die until I was 19. They liked to dance to 'pop goes the weasel'

London Mabel said...

@widdershins - Cats can cover broader territory (that is to say my ankle to my armpit, right Haley?!) But the parrot picks one spot and DIGS IN.

@Kris - Awww so cute!!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}