QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Thiiings

First--thank you everyone for your kind wishes and vibes the other day!  :-) Now I have something I can return to when Times Is Rough.

Second--today's post. I haven't been writing much cuz I've been preoccupied.

When I was working on my degrees my apartment got very messy, so one day I photographed all the little things around the house that made me happy, and put it on facebook. Here's some of them:

Wedding gift teapot!

Family had this hanging up when I was little

A prettily shaped dish soap bottle

My cute calendar

Haley's sign

Stuffed animal collection (this one from step-mommy)

I bring him out before Christmas, at which time his heart grows.

The Barbie alarm clock! From my mum.

Portrait of Nombly, by step-mommy

Kitchen guru (also from step-mommy!)

All the many places we've made for the cats.

Kitteh blankets from the dollar store.

My rice paper lamps... now sadly torn and dilapidated.

Swan Theatre--used to hang in my grandfather's house.

Chaucer print from grandfather's house

My Core books, flowers that belonged to grandmother I never knew,  gifts from friends, and the painting that used to hang in my mother's dining room and my grandfather said looked like she just smelt a fart.

The book kitties, from my mum.

My books! Like my Marx Brothers collection...

...shelf of fave authors...

...books on Britain...

and my Kyoto Fashion Institute book.


Hmm... now which of these things do I bring to Vancouver Island? Well... not the soap bottle, in any case. That's one down...
  

7 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

wow. hard choices. so many heartwarming things. of course, for me I'd have to bring books. but maybe not. I haven't moved since ereaders were popular.

Gmc said...

My formula - a grid with uniqueness on one axis, and physical weight on the other...

Keep anything that is irreplacable, such as family heirlooms, and special items with sentimental value. Catalogue book collection, and then set them free to a new life via the loval secondhand book store. Console yourself with joyful thoughts of re-discovering them at local thrift shops near your new home!

In all things, lighter is better. Discard the heavy, common stuff. Good luck and best of fun in shedding the old skin to discover the new one!

Robena Grant said...

Last time I moved (six years ago) I transported boxes and boxes of books. The movers asked if I had gold in those boxes. And I felt like I'd paid in gold to have them transported. ; ) Anyway, just want to say that more than half of them are still stored in a closet in the garage and have never been looked at. Last week I took several boxes to the library. More will go soon.

Good luck with your move. : )

widdershins said...

Given my current position of starting to stress at all things that need to be packed before we move on the 15th, and Mrs Widdershins sick in bed with something we hope is NOT the flu, I'll respectfully pass on any moving comment.

...

... except to say, life is all about adventures, and this one feels like a good one for you.

CiCi said...

Remember that I sent boxes of Poppa's books to you by bus. That may still be a cheaper option than some of the others.

London Mabel said...

At this point I won't be moving much here, cause I don't know if Ben will join me or if I'll go back to Montreal in a couple years. ...So I have time to plot how to get our 900 books over here. Heh heh heh. Okay maybe just 500.

@Widders - Oh poor Mrs Widdershins! I hope it's not the flu too!

Simone said...

If you don't want the house rules. I get dibs on it! I remember it hanging in all your homes and I associate it with you for sure!!!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}