QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Monday, March 26, 2012

Humpty Mabel: A Tale of Divorce

I'm finishing up Mindsight--so much to share with you guys! But I can't highlight stuff in this old kobo of mine, so I'll have to come back to the book later and find things to share.

The author (psychologist) asks each patient to tell him about their childhood, not just for content, but for clues in how they tell the story. One of the standard questions is do they remember being separated from their parents, how did that feel. So here's my separation story.

My parents divorced when I was 7 years old. We moved back to Alberta and they had shared custody. When my dad was home from being a pilot we'd stay with him, and when he was away we'd stay with our mum. (She was doing a library science degree.)


At grade 4 we moved back to Manitoba, because my dad and his girlfriend (my step-mommy) wanted to move in together, and she was a flight attendant based there. I loved my mother a ton, but Step-mommy was wonderful and I came to love her too. For New Years and in the summer my brother and I would go to stay with my mum in Alberta.

This pattern of visiting my mother continued for the rest of my childhood and teen years, though in the summer my brother and I would visit at different times. And I continued for the rest of my adult life to visit my mother during my vacations from school/work.

Somewhere in here this Horrible Feeling began. I dreaded the end of my visits with her. When the last few days came, I started to get a sick feeling in my stomach, and sometimes I'd cry at night. It was all I could do not to cry at the airport, and the flight home felt interminable. When I got home I'd be depressed for several days. I would call Swiss Girl the very first day cause I knew she'd have stories to tell me about her boyfriends and mother, and she'd want to go out, and I'd have a distraction. I would still cry sometimes at night.

I think I did pretty fine with the divorce of my parents, and they were very civil about it. But this was the worst effect--this horrible separation from my mother. All three of my parents knew about this feeling, though I may have downplayed it a bit so they wouldn't feel bad. And it's not like no good came from it, cause my mother made those visits wonderful adventures, and she gave me advice and taught me about life, and she's always been funny and entertaining. We'd talk once a month and I'd tell her EVERYthing in my friends' lives and she'd give us advice.

The only other thing comparable to this Separation Depression was when, in grade 5, my step-mother moved back to Quebec for a few months. I pined for both of my mothers. Step-mommy sent me a card for my birthday that you could turn into a mobile, and I cherished it as much as the letters from my mom. I cried many nights. I turned, as I had since I was little, to my cat Ernie and my stuffed animals for comfort. ...I had a nice babysitter, and my best friend's mother, and of course my daddio. But luckily we moved to Quebec that summer and I got La Step-mommy back.

I don't have regrets or recriminations about any of this. It's not to make my parents (who read my blog) guilty about it--I'm the sum of these experiences, and I don't dislike who I've become or where I am. Just having some Thinks. And in these Thinks I realized the following...

The dread and depression of separating from my mother stopped in my early 20s: The first year Fernando and I went out together. The desire to get home and see him was strong enough to offset the sadness of not seeing my mother. After that, I had occasional pangs, and of course I still missed her.  But I was also madly in love Fernando.

- Here's the New Thinks part - 

It's like he helped me transition out of the pain of childhood, and the pain of the divorce, to become an adult alongside my parents. I'm sure I grew some neural links that connected the ending of that pain, to Fernando. I'm sure my brain has a deeply ingrained connection between Peace and Wholeness, and Fernando. It's almost like separation caused separation in me too. Fernando glued Humpty Mabel back together again.

Hm. ...Well that explains why I'm so stuck on him.
 



Song of the Day - my Fernando song in those days.

 

10 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I love it when you have your thinks and you share them like this.
Sorry you had sadness when you were a kid but at least it seems to have been sadness in the midst of love and good times.
Fernando sounds nice. Nothing like a supportive man.

Judie said...

Separation anxiety - parents get it too. Glad that you could share your thinks with us. Glad Fernando is there for you too. It's wonderful to have the support of loved ones.

Robena Grant said...

I like your thinks. Often wonder about my own children and how the divorce affected them. We've spoken of it on many levels but I still wonder about the deepest hurts. I think my daughter has finally met someone who can truly help her to heal.

widdershins said...

Widder's story:

My father disappeared, (quite literally) from the family home, when I was 12. In the middle of the night. With my younger brother. And the neighbour's wife. And her 2 kids! True story.

I didn't have separation depression, I had separation RAGE.
It wasn't until we'd both grown up (I managed it faster than he did) that we could carry on a conversation.

With a great deal of hindsight, the main thing my 12 year old self was so mad about was that he took my brother rather than me! (it just about ruined my brother, whereas I would've relished the gypsy lifestyle they led)

Sometimes I'm amazed that the 'oomin race continues to breed, when we realise how far-reaching the effects of our parenting/life-decisions can go. - must have something to do with selective memory loss.

That and an unquenchable biological imperative for enough 'oomins so that the species continues, no matter what.

widdershins said...

P.S. Congrats on the 'Webbie 'ward!!!

Megan Coakley said...

I have been thinking a lot about my teens and twenties lately. I think some of it is because my children are approaching those ages, and perhaps because of my writing.

I am still in book one of what will be a trilogy about sisters, but all the sisters are some version of me. So, I have been considering all the different experiences that I've had, at different points in my life. Divorced parents was one of them, but being saved by the love of a good man was more important.

Thanks for sharing your thinks!

Kris said...

Thanks for sharing your Thinks. It's always interesting to hear about other people's divorce stories and i'm glad that you go to have a nice step-mum...mine was like the evil step-mother in fairytales and her kids were the mean sisters, only they were boys.

ladada said...

Reminds me how depressed Step Mommy became when you moved out of the family home... talk about empty nest syndrome! And 6 years ago, when we left Montreal for the west coast, the first day's drive was very silent and filled with very melancholy music... Separation seems to be an unavoidable feature of this singular life. le sigh... So beautifully expressed in the song I used for this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE13nPxOeCk&feature=plcp&context=C4b23d09VDvjVQa1PpcFPvecLkCuc_TDPkb2uB2l0UHj7qeUESfkU%3D

London Mabel said...

@ JJJ - There was a lot of love. :-) And thank you for reading my Thinks!

@Judie - So I've heard. The closest I've experienced it from the parent side if being separated from my kittehs, which I don't care for.

@Robena - I'd always felt the divorce hadn't affected me much, cause I don't think I saw the separation angst as part of it! Still have things to learn at 38 I guess.

@Widders you've led the most interesting life. You and Ms Brownlow always have SUCH stories. Thanks for sharing!

@Megan - I look forward to your books... it will be so fun to read bits of your bio in them!

@Kris - It's so awful that there really are evil step-parents. (Well and parents.) :-( But you've turned out pretty great. :-)

@ladada - Especially when both your parents are modern day nomads! ;-)

ladada said...

After having a very stable upbringing - one house my whole rememberable life - I turned into a bit of a wondering wanderer, always wanting to see what's over the next hill... and dragging my kidlets along. Still, there are good ways and not-so-good ways to grow from most things in life. Which we finally choose will form what we become. There are few "perfect" choices in this life, each one involving gain and loss.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}