QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Playlists and Music and Artsits oh my! (My favorite music so far, in 2012)

I'm on a plaaaane!

But in the meantime here's some music. I like to compile my fave songs at the end of the year, but it's hard to see what I listened to most because the songs from January will have a bigger play count than a song I bought in July, even if I listened to both of them equally.

So this year I'm setting all play counts to zero every month. But first I go through the list and pick out the songs I listened to the most, and put them into folders by month. ...I know I know... eez crazy.

January

  • Orion - Elizaveta
  • Fall Creek Boys Choir - James Blake and Bon Iver = SO interesting. I am becoming a Bon Iver fan.
  • Do It Now - Ingrid Michaelson
  • Fire - Ingrid Michaelson = I'll buy this album I'm sure... when there's a job in my life.
  • You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome - Miley Cyrus
  • Let It Be Me - Ray LaMontagne
  • Start a War - The National
  • You're the One That I Want - The Lennings = You know I love covers, and this is a great one.
  • Our Hearts Are Wrong - Jessica Lea Mayfield
  • Good Feeling - Flo Rida = That Flo Rida... he's so hot right now.
  • Turn Me On - David Guetta with Nicki Minaj = Why does Guetta have such weird videos in re women? Best comment on youtube:

  • And finally "Let's Go Crazy" as covered by the worst cover band of all time: Eaton Canyon Royal Ensemble. Wish I could find more of their work.

February & March

  • Roman Holiday - Nicki Minaj = Eeeeasily my fave song these days. The album isn't even out, this is just a recording of her Grammy performance. New album in April! 
  • Buffalo Stance - Neheh Cherry = I got into an 80s-90s mood in February.
  • The Glamorous Life - Sheila E = Now that's how you do an award show performance!
  • Starships - Nicki Minaj
  • Baby Jane - Rod Stewart = What can I say, I was raised on him.
  • Old Fashioned - Cee Lo Green
  • Last Chance - Nicki Minaj with Natasha Bedingfield = I had to play a lot of Nicki for Philea-bird.
  • Next to Me - Emeli Sandé = Just randomly discovered her.
  • Cry Baby - Cee Lo = As soon as he starts the verse I diiie.
  • Never Forget You - Noisettes
  • Clouds Across the Moon - Rah Band = There was some weird shit in the 80s.
  • All This Time - Sting = I've always loved the line: "Men go crazy in congregations, they only get better one by one."
  • Goddess of Change - Joan Armatrading = Still putting out some good music!
  • Slow Down - Wyclef Jean with TI = One of my fave songs for awhile now.
  • More Beautiful Than Silence - K'Naan = Only feel lukewarm about his latest EP, but this is a good song.
  • The Times They Are a Changin' - Peter Paul and Mary
  • Somebody That I Used to Know = by Gotye, but I also like the cover by Walk Off the Earth. The latter video is pretty cool (several people standing around playing the whole song on one guitar.)
  • Just a Step Away - Carly Rae Jepsen = I don't usually buy music that I regret, but this EP wasn't as good as the samples sounded. It's poppy and likable, but not endurable. As opposed to Cee Lo's album which grew on me more over time.
  • Season of the Witch - Donovan
  • I'm On Fire - John Mayer
  • There is a Ship - Peter Paul and Mary = I love just about any cover of this (usu. The Water is Wide)
  • I'm On Fire - Tori Amos = Her covers are always interesting.
  • Landslide - Tori Amos
  • Take On Me - Ely Bruna = It's that one hit wonder from Aha! Well done cover.
  • Ready to Make Up & All I Need - Toronto = I loved bands with female band members, when I was a teen. My brother bought me a Toronto best of LP for my birthday one year.
  • On the Dark Side - "Eddie and the Cruisers" 
  • Blind - Talking Heads = My brother and I loved this video, with the wrench and "BLIND BLIND BLIND BLIND BLIIIIND!"
  • Criswell Predicts - Mae West = She sang some weird songs, yo.

That's it bebbies! See you when I'm able to get back to online land!
  

4 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Thanks for turning me on to Elizaveta - I love her.
I was happy to see Miley Cyrus on here. I love her voice.
I have that Donovan song and some others on my ipod. I get into him sometimes. Back in the day I had everything he ever did.
I'm also enjoying Somebody That I Used To Know.
I'm gonna check out Emile Sande. I like those accidental finds.
Safe happy trip!

gmc said...

You obviously enjoy cataloguing and sharing stuff like this... and you are so capable with all things bloggish and computerish ... good on ya!

widdershins said...

See you on the ground!

London Mabel said...

@JJJ I only know that Donovan song cause it was so well employed in a recent movie trailer!

@dad Oh I know what you're really saying!

@widder Helloooo!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}