QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Friday, March 23, 2012

Fashion : It might be good for us

We often talk about fashion like it's this thing that enslaves people--the drive to be cool, to look "in", to be accepted. And that does happen. But high fashion isn't like that--it stands out, it's outrageous, it's different. The people who wear the crazy clothes help provide a variety to society, some kitsch, some eccentricity. John Stuart Mill lamented the decline of eccentricity in his time because he believed weird people kept society vibrant, and imaginative, and innovative:

"The amount of eccentricity in a society has generally been proportional to the amount of genius, mental vigour, and moral courage which it contained."

Which is why I like to talk about fashionistas and kooky clothes. See: Gaga / more Gaga, Prince, Pointer Sisters, Jagger, Cyndi Lauper, Iris Apfel, Pretty in Pink's Molly, wigs, shoulder pads, shoes, earrings, Alexander McQueen, makeup adsHartwell's 3 Laws of Fashion, and Grammy peeps, Oscars, more Oscars (with Cher!) VMAs, and Cannes.  

Today's Eccentric Dresser is Freddie Mercury. He was a shy and very private man, but an extrovert on stage (much like Prince). In public he sometimes denied being bisexual (homosexuality had only been made legal in 1960s in Britain), but on stage he really did personify a sort of Gay Outrageousosity. And tricked all the straight or conservative or anti-gay rockers into playing along.

I watched a rather sad bio of George Michael, how he really struggled with hiding his homosexuality ( though he humorously commented that one only had to watch the Wham! videos); how he struggled with depression; and how he thought he was so ugly he wouldn't look in the mirror. And watching some behind the scenes videos of the Freddie Mercury Tribute you could see him singing along, obviously a fan and very moved--which all came out in his "Somebody to Love" that blew everyone away. (I can actually remember where I was when I first heard it on the radio.) Freddie's stage persona must have given some young men the courage to wear their tight pants and open-chested shirts in public and Be Themselves.

So of course Song of the Day must be from Queen (the Freddie photos follow). I'm choosing "Under Pressure" cause I think it's how a lot of my buddies in the United States are feeling these days:
















     
"Somebody to Love"
   

8 comments:

Skye said...

I have adored Queen since I first heard Bohemian Rhapsody back in junior high. I loved Freddy Mercury and cried when I heard he'd died. There just aren't too many like him about, more's the pity.

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

I love the music and the pics. In fact, I love eccentricity.
I'm gonna send my brother a link to this cause he loves Freddie Mercury.

Robena Grant said...

Really enjoyed this. Thanks. The music took me back, and the clothes...oh those clothes. : )

Julie said...

I adore Freddie! Great post.

London Mabel said...

Glad you guys enjoyed. :-)

widdershins said...

Freddie always was a snappy dresser

London Mabel said...

He set the standard for chest hair. No one could live up so it went out of fashion.

widdershins said...

ROFL

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}