QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

97.5 Shmoopy Hits!

My parents usually have the radio on for the birds, and it's set to 97.5 Shmoopy Hits!

Well... that's what I imagine it's called. I'm always leaving the house with songs like "Yesterday" in my head. Today they played "It Was a Very Good Year", Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown", and one of my fave Kate and Anna McGarrigle songs"...



...but the Linda Ronstadt version of course.

And then they played The Most Depressing Song in the History of Mankind.

I can't believe Janis Ian didn't shoot her brains out shortly after penning it.


 
PS - If I ever have a radio station I'm calling it 97.5 Shmoopy Hits!
 

7 comments:

Delia said...

You know, I never actually listened to the lyrics of that song. It is kind of depressing. And schmoopy.

Nan said...

I'm totally shmoopy--I listen to the Music stations on cable--hits of the '70s, so I must be about the same age as your parents...Gorden, Cat, James Taylor...

Robena Grant said...

I do like the Shmoopy hits, but seriously, I'm a C&W fan. Any chance I get I'm listening to those sad ol' country songs. ; )

Judie said...

Now I can't wait to get home so I can hear the Shmoopy!!

widdershins said...

The reason we all react so strongly to Janis' song is that at least some part of it happened to all of us!

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Yeah I never listened to that JI song without feeling depressed for sure.
I love Gorden Lightfoot. And James Taylor. And I've had life phases where I've driven people crazy listening to too much Cat Stevens.

Never heard of the McGarrigles. Like the song and I'll be checking them out.

London Mabel said...

@Delia - I'm sorry I brought it to your attention. I apologize.

@Robena - country does take shmoopy to a level of great artistry. And ass kicking too.

@Judie - Nooo! Save yourself!

@widders - I think it made me mad when I first heard it because I was about that age, not asked out on dates, but did NOT feel bad about it!

@JJJ - Shmoopy has its place. "If You Can Read My Mind" slays me.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}