QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Interlopers in My Romance Novel

I just finished a romance novel and though it's by one of the best rom com authors in the biz, one part fell prey to one of my least fave romance novel traditions: Previous protagonists as side characters.

Many romance novels are series containing the same characters--that is the say, book 2 takes the brother from book 1 and gives him his own romance. Book 3 takes the boss from book 1 and 2 and gives her her own romance. By book 4 you've got all these side characters popping up for semi-gratuitous scenes, presumably meant to please fans?

The result is the book's protagonist is surrounded by all these bland super-happy-highly-sexed-gorgeous couples who have perfect relationships because the author can't imply that any of her previous Happily Ever Afters might be having problems. Without having read the previous books in the series, I can tell these are previous characters, and it takes me out of the book. The novel suddenly rings false and I long to be rid of the interlopers.

I get why an author can't spoil the HEA Effect, so I wish these books just had new friend characters. With a balding husband here, a sarcastic wife there--something to relieve the monotony and somewhat reflect real life. Just because it's a fantasy about the hero and heroine, does it have to be a fantasy about all their buddies too?

I love romance novels, but I think the genre has falling into some ruts. Too many gorgeous and brooding men, too many sassy heroines with banging bods (though of course they don't think so), too many young characters, and too many previous characters littering up the landscape.

Song of the Day:
A song about the difficulties of writing love stories.
"Love Over and Over" by Kate and Anna McGarrigle*
I've walked upon the moors of many misguided tours
Where Emily, Anne and Charlotte poured their hearts out
What did they know, or anyone know, about love?


_______
*We were talking about shmoopy songs the other day and Judy, Judy, Judy mentioned she hadn't heard Kate and Anna McGarrigle. They're a Quebec folk duo, and sisters. Kate was married to Loudain Wainwright III was mother to Rufus and Martha Wainwright, and died just a couple years ago.
    

3 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Oooh - see I like when they do that in novels. I'm a series girl. Now it's perfectly okay with me if the characters or previous characters aren't perfect. Especially physically. But I like the mentions of previous people I've read about and I like knowing they're still happy.
Course that's just me.

London Mabel said...

I'm sure I'm the minority on this! :-D

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Crusie and March agree with you. But not Anne Stuart. She's written books like this. The Ice series which I adore, in particular.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}