QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Friday, July 27, 2012

Does this eye shadow make me look like an adult?

Every once in awhile I'll hear someone refer to some aspect of their lives as not being grown up. One person I know says they need a more grown up living room color. Someone else refers to their little basement bachelor suite as not being an "adult apartment." I once worked with a woman who thought she needed to get married (her boyfriend was non-commital) and get a house in order to grow up.

I can understand wanting to change any one of these aspects of one's life. Paint colors, bachelor apartments, and non-commital boyfriends have the potential to become tiresome/inadequate, as much as anything else. But I don't apply maturity levels to any of them.

I do think there are some emotional/psychological states that mark the passing time. For example...

Babyhood to toddlerhood: Discovering you're an individual.
Childhood to adolescence: Questioning everything you've been taught.
Adolescence to early adulthood: Rediscovering you're an individual.
20s to 30s: No longer thinking you're the center of the universe / know everything.
30's to 40s: Stopping to care what everyone else thinks of you.

and so forth. And there are people who get stuck in one of these states. (If you're still going on about The Catcher in the Rye when you're 50... you might want to broaden your philosophical horizons.)

But paint colors, cars, homes... these are just things. Things should only reflect our taste, need and idiosyncrasies. Like "I hate stinky bus people so I got a car" or "All landlords work for the FBI so I got a house." And if your parents, friends or colleagues say different... [insert raspberry.]

Song of the day: I swear to you this started playing as I wrote this post!

   

4 comments:

Skye said...

I have LEGOs. I figure I don't have to worry about totally growing up. Maturity now, I do have some stuck places. But I'm working on them.

widdershins said...

When I grow up I want to be a kid again!

... I think a lot of those things are inexorably tied in with our internalised list of 'shoulds', and 'what would our neighbours/parents/'they'/etc think' ... and perhaps a sense of dissatisfcation with our past choices.

... cool autographed CD's!

London Mabel said...

@Skye - You wanna find that right balance between childishness and maturity. ;-)

@widders - I have one self-help book that says: Anytime you start a sentence with "I should" you should look at it and figure out if it's just something that other people want you to do, and not you.

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

It's funny but I wrote a post on purses Friday. I've been looking for one. And the funny thing is; most purses that would be considered adult purses, make me feel like a little old lady. So I tend to avoid them.
Silly I know.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}