QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, July 8, 2012

My Protagonist: She once was lost

So I've been researching or plotting my current work in progress for over a year now. I think it was in February when I decided to take the old sweet romance and re-do it as comedy. But I've never been able to *get* my heroine. I didn't want her to be the way she was in the old book, cause that Pauline was way too normal. Well the whole book was too normal.

When I finally wrote my first draft in June she was still kinda dull. I just ignored her and focused on figuring out the plot details. And then I struggled with reworking the plot all through July and finally rearranged the bits in just the right order that I could start the second draft.

But when I sat down to write, Pauline was still... bleh. I became determined to find the right placeholder character for her, as none of the ones I'd tried had worked. (I have a physical placeholder for her, which I'm happy with. But needed a character one.)

Who am I?

So I started pulling up on Google my favorite TV shows and movies.

Psych (my current amour) - but no, the two leads are too self-confident for Pauline
The Moderns - not right, my fave character's too brash and blustering, and my other fave too morose
Impromptu - definitely not, George Sand way too confident and brash
Much Ado About Nothing - that's exactly the kind of heroine who populates 50% or more of romance novels--the kind I'm trying to avoid
Jeeves and Wooster - ... ... ... !   !!  !!!!!!!!!



And so my heroine has become Bertie Wooster. Kind, easy going, a bit dumb, and easily cowed or controlled by strong personalities. And now everything's falling into place. 

Yay! I once was lost but now am found!

...Good thing I already have my heroine and plot firmly in place for my next novel. I even tried out 50 000 words of it for Nano one year, and it worked great. The process for this book has been a big piece of crazy pie. The original sweet romance was written in one summer, so the initial book came easily to me. But changing it into a comedy, well that's something I've never done before. And it made for some crazy soup.

But as long as I'm learning new things about writing, I'm happy. And the research was fascinating.

Okay, off for some breakfast (wrote this at noon) and then back to the drywalling!
      

5 comments:

Brussels Sprout said...

Omg I am in exactly the same place, looking for my girl, and I have found her, but her placeholder is actually really weird, will blog about it in a week or two. I did Lani's critique, and it was incredibly useful. But this book has a long way to go.

Frankly, I cannot wait to read about a female Bertie, sounds like a great plan!

Skye said...

Never occurred to me to look for a placeholder in the other gender.

I find it difficult to do things like soundtracks and collages, so I haven't picked placeholders. Now maybe I will. Meg Ryan, the final one, in Joe vs. the Volcano. She knew what she wanted and was willing to do what was necessary. She stayed herself even when things went T-U. But she looks soft and fluffy with the blond curly hair.

I, too, look forward to reading about a female Bertie.

lora96 said...

I love this post. I have been struggling to rework my romcom and the main issue i have is my mc...i get where she is coming from but she is abrasive. I figured Jennifer Garner as a placeholder and that has really helped because I consider her persona to be very strong and self determined but also vulnerable and my mc needs to ratchet up the vulnerable.

Good job you!

widdershins said...

WTG on looking outside the (gender) box!!! ... go Bertie!

London Mabel said...

@Brussels - I look forward to reading about yours'. Your book sounds so fun.

@Skye - I've still never seen that movie. Really should.

@lora - I'm happy for you! Especially doing all this with mommy-brain.

@widders - Ah merci. Hope it works.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}