QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Monday, July 23, 2012

Story Soundtracking: Ahh relief

Some people when they make a soundtrack for the book pick maybe 20 songs--the idea being to play it when you're not writing, to inspire you, to find ideas, keep you in the book's mood.

I tried that this time but just ended up with a mess on my hands. I need multiple lists for the various moods of the book, and some just for background music (Eg. a bunch of Rat Pack songs for when I'm writing a particular character). I know what the "core" songs are and I go to them when needed; but I need a mch bigger pool to play in.

Having finally found my heroine and my hero, I fixed up my playlists this past week. There's 837 songs.

Ahh relief. Now I can work. By the way, for those who want to make soundtracks but have trouble finding songs, I often just start with what I'm listening to at the moment. Often the music mood I'm in corresponds to the mood of the book. Or it helps set the tone for it, even.

Here are three songs from my heroine's files.

Love Joan Armatrading - impressed she wrote something this good late in her career.


Very romantic song by Buffy Ste Marie.
I met him on a pow wow trail
He was singing and I was a dancer
To the heart beat drum, heart beat drum...



And a french song I like.

3 comments:

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

Wow 837 songs. That's phenomenal.
I like French songs even though I don't know what they're saying. The mood is infectuous somehow.

widdershins said...

An impressive playlist indeed!

London Mabel said...

It's working so much better now. Phew.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}