QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Every one of these articles weakens you

"What I tell Sophie, when we talk about life in general is, 'I hope you grow up to be Sophie and not the girlfriend of some guy,'" he explains. "Women have to stop defining themselves by men. You take the guy's last name. Every women's magazine says 'The 10 things he's interested in,' 'What is he thinking?' 'Where is this going?' 'Do I have my mother's hips?' and every one of those articles weakens you."


This is a re-post from September 2007 :-)

5 comments:

BrotherPaul said...

Here, here!

Skye said...

Wow. He's smarter than the reality show displays. That's terrific advice!

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

Loving this.
I really want to write romance novels that are empowering for women. I enjoy reading all kinds but I don't necessarily want my name attached to ones that are part of the current patriarchal paradigm.

widdershins said...

He certainly is an interesting character!

London Mabel said...

I used to watch his show in the first season or so, and just seeing how smart and well adjusted his kids seemed, made me think well of him. The fact that they tease him so much says something, I think.

@JJJ - I know what you mean. When I'm writing, that part of my brain is always clicked on. Widdershins there wrote an SFF book that doesn't contain a single man.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}