QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

We wanna clock out!

Someone emailed me to see if I'd be interested in sharing this infographic. I felt it was worth sharing--if you're American, scroll down.

According to statscan Canadians worked an average of 36.4 hours/week, down from 38 in 1976. It remained about the same for women (33) but declined for men (41 to 39).

Provincially Quebec and British Columbia were at 35 hours, the two lowest in the country. In BC I would guess that's accounted for by (a) retirees, and (b) an outdoorsy-live-your-life atmosphere. In Quebec there's a more European "clock out on time" mentality. Except when you work for an English (non Quebec HQ) company ahem ahem.

I thought Ontario would be the highest because a lot of headquarters are in Toronto and there's a bigger "work hard buy yacht" mentality, but it was actually Alberta and Newfoundland/Labrador. Alberta is where the current economic boom is happening (oil). What's depressing is Newf-Lab is one of the poorest provinces in Canada... maybe people are working longer cause there's lower wages?

Bring Back the 40 Hour Work Week Infographic
Source: OnlineMBA.com

4 comments:

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

Ya don't have to convince me. Punching that time clock on the nose.
Actually that's not true. Lately I been doing 3 extra hours a week. But since I only do 28 to begin with - and the extra 3 are on my own schedule - and doing different work than I normally do using a skill I want to keep current in - so there, justification.
Also, I frequently clock out 7 minutes late and in 7 early. That's almost 15 minutes a day. During a 5 day week that's an extra hour and fifteen minutes pay and it seems like nothing.
So my first statement was a lie. For now. Next week, who knows?

Skye said...

This is why I want to work freelance and contract from home: so I can work my own hours. It doesn't take me 60 hours to do 40 hours of work and for the most part I can do my work in 30 or so. With the fibromyalgia, I'm not sure I can work a 40+ hour work week anymore, especially with a commute of 2+ hours a day!

I want to know where is that 25 hour work week I was promised over 25 years ago!

widdershins said...

That's a sad bunch of statistics!

London Mabel said...

@JJJ - Well 28 as an average is good! Still time to write and be with grandbebbies.

@Skye - People can often be more productive at home. At one of my last jobs we were 7 managers and 2 computers, one small office.

@widders - Widdercat would disapprove

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}