QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I've got my heroine--now for the hero!

I wrote 1600 words of this second draft of my book and then, as mentioned, stopped to find my heroine. Now that I've got her, my hero has morphed. The romantic interest has to compliment my protagonist. When picking, for example, a male love interest I don't dream up Mr Dreamy McDreamy; I pick someone who'll make an interesting couple.



Georgette Heyer did wonderful pairings. In Friday's Child she paired Hero, who was a total pushover, with a self-centered playboy. In Cotillion she took the Regency version of Bertie Wooster and, rather than pairing him girls who read Nietzche, she gave Freddy the tender-hearted Kitten. The cute thing in that book is that it looks like Kitten's going to end up with the guy she's had a crush on, the Classic Romance Novel jackass Jack. But she picks Freddy. Yay!

Another great pairing in Cotillion is Freddy's extremely stupid and good natured cousin Dolph, who is paired with a gentle but Very Sensible (think Mary Poppins) woman who can take him in hand without torturing him as his mama does.


In The Corinthian we have a fop who falls in love with a trouble-making scamp. But in other Heyers, when a less frivolous hero runs into the Regency Manic Pixie Dream Girl, he gladly turns to his plainer and quieter childhood friend to help fix all the problems (Charity Girl, The Foundling.) The Foundling was especially cute cause the hero was slight, with a bad leg--babied by his family and servants. He has to escape them! before he can have a bit of fun.


Since my protagonist is a Freddy, I feel she needs her own "Kitten." She needs to be the slightly less ineffective of the two.

In the old rom version of my story Love Interest was played by Roy Dupuis, who you might recognize as Michael from Nikita. He's (as Wodehouse would say) steeped to the gills in serious purpose.



In my comedy version of the book I recast him as Patrick Huard (below: the French one) cause this actor is a comedian.



But he's too gregarious to be Kitten.

Then this week the song "She Will Be Loved" came on my computer while I was putzing around, and I suddenly pictured Adam Levine. Not his personality, but a tall, too skinny, dark haired guy who has trouble looking people in the eye--and for some reason I can picture Levine in the role.



Though combined with Éric Bruneau when I'm trying to hear him speak in my head. (My hero's not especially cute like these guys. It's just hard to find actors who aren't Ridiculously Good Looking.)*



I suddenly saw my hero: A graphic novel writer/artist, smitten by dipstick Pauline. Now I just need to figure out how to have a dipstick as a protagonist who's supposed to have a Masters in history. I suspect she's going to end up with a BA. She can manage that--even Bertie Wooster went to Magdalen College (Oxford.)

_________
* Fernando once met a guy I worked with who was this sort of blonde Adonis; and Fernando said: "Oh my God, you are ridiculously good looking! Just like in Zoolander!"
   

6 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

The ridiculously good looking thing is why my placekeepers are never actors.
I went to look for someone other than actors and settled on soccer players because I like men with long arms and legs. Don't know why that's just who I'm attracted to. Although my latest hero isn't a soccer player. Can't remember right now who he is.
That guys a good one, though.

BarbN said...

what? you can definitely have a graduate degree and still be a complete space case. I know some, and since I will have my master's soon, I'm about to become one. :-) or mabye I'm not understanding what you mean by dipstick. Love the pictures, and the Heyer synopses, and reading how your characters came to be. Sounds interesting.

robena grant said...

Well, I love this. I'm a huge Heyer fan and Cotillion is my favorite. Love Freddy, and Maroon 5and had some happy time listening to the song and watching the video. So there you go. A sensitive Freddy who is also cool and sings. ; )

London Mabel said...

@JJJ - You're not fooling anyone babe. Your heroes are Ridiculously Good Looking Soccer Players. ;-)

@Barb - Well, I did know one MA who was not brilliant. But she was probably still smarter than Bertie Wooster. (Though his knowledge of Biblical trivia was very good.)

@Robena - When I was in London I went to the British Museum only to see the Elgin Marbles, so I could say: "But--they've got no heads! They haven't any arms either!"

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

The thing is they don't ALWAYS look perfect.

Hero of Hungry Ghosts - Carlos Tevez - not looking perfect
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=carlos+tevez&view=detail&id=0B4908006EA0B9D0304A8B142486346EB30D9873&first=1

Hero of Tangible Taffy - Rio Ferdinand - not looking perfect

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rio+ferdinand&view=detail&id=055935800A1EEB5F3CE63C067BC3496B27089386&first=211

See that's the thing with sports guys - even if they look good sometimes they don't always look good.

And not everyone thinks Carlos Tevez is attractive.
Rio Ferdinand now - anyone can see that man is FINE.

London Mabel said...

Yeah, yeah, cause publicists can't control how they look on the soccer pitch!

I'm just kidding--I see what you mean. :-)

I have to use actors, sometimes singers, cause to kick me off I need to hear a voice, a way of speaking, mannerisms etc. Like casting Hugh Laurie as Bertie Wooster for my heroine.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}