QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Elly Belly's Brood: Episode 2

I've got to start posting all the pics I've been taking since April. I was going to go in order, but Harvey might need some pics of her beloved Zoe. (Episode 1 here.)

Cat Warning: Some cat pics intermingled with Zoe's section, cause we have to discuss her obsession with them.

First: Ella the Cat

My mum's cat Chino loves to be outside. In the day he sits on the back deck, which I call his living room. Elly Belly is the same, she's outside 80% of the time. (Not an exact number... sometimes she sleeps in the basement so she's inside and I don't know it.) I've given up trying to keep her indoors at night cause that's Her Time. If I keep her in she goes nuts and starts trying to throw herself out of the roof window, even if it's not open wide enough.

 Ella's night living room on the back patio.
Queen of the Faerie.


She comes in for regular cuddle check ups.



I think a hawk tried to get one of our chickens this week! 
Zoe had gone indoors, but Ella was with me... I think she scared the hawk off with her Stare of Death. Now when I sit out there with chickies, I make Zoe stay with me--but Ella doesn't need to be asked. She's the real guardian of the household.

She likes to take her walk when we do. Not with us, like Chino did. Just off on her own.

Waiting for walk.
  

"Catcha later chachis!"

Waiting for us when we return.
 


Second: Zoe the Pupsicle

Or "Zo-zo" as she's been called this week.

She comes for regular snuggles too.
If I stop petting her she sticks her snout under my hand.

It's easier to give her shnoogles if I invite her to do the forbidden: Sit on the couch!
Shhhh. All the best babysitters let you do something naughty, right? Mine did.
  

I don't do anything exciting, outside of walk time.
To amuse herself Zozo chases Ella, and sometimes Ella chases her.

But otherwise there's a lot of this.

Until I say the word: WALK.
Then a magical transformation happens!
She leaps up and runs for her leash and drags it around the living room and frolics and acts like a freak. It's adorable. 

Here we are down at the bay.
Waiting for her ship to come in?

 Being a poodle she's a big tracker. I brought her to my parents' neighborhood and she tracked a bunny for 2-3 blocks (she shnuffles along the ground, nose to grass, until I finally see what she's smelling.) 

She's always on the lookout for her fave prey: CATS.

There are a couple cats who hold their own against her. This cat came right down to the edge of the property and meowed at us, over and over. Exactly like a dog. You can see how tough he/she is!

And this is the old Siamese who stares Zoe down. In all the times we've passed this cat, Zoe has never made a lunge for him/her.


But other cats...

Here's one warily watching our approach...

 "Cat! Cat! Cat! Cat!"

My patented Cat Leash Hold. Even carrying poo! Pretty talented of me.

Zozo: "Cat! Cat! Cat! Cat!"
Moi: "NO CAT. NO CAT. NO CAT."
I use it when we see deer too.
This dog takes off so fast, if you aren't expecting it you're almost pulled off your feet. 
"Deer! Deer! Deer! Deer!"
"Bunny! Bunny! Bunny! Bunny!"
"NO CAT NO CAT NO CAT NO CAT!!"

Lunging for deer and cats is hard work.
At the 40 minute mark we always stop for a drink.


I time my walks to make sure we're out for an hour at least. I walk 30 minutes towards something, and then circle back. (Yes, my watch is upside down. Clearly not awake when I put it on. I depend on the walk to wake me up.)

Super red Anglo Saxon Face. Can you tell I'm not used to regular exercise?
My mother's neighborhood was flat, but Nanaimo is hilly. So I've upped my workout by 30 minutes, and incline. ;-)

Puppy Eye View of Maffeo Sutton Park


"Is it water bowl time yet?"

She's so pretty, she gets lots of attention. Here we are on the Queen's boardwalk. A guy from Lac St Jean, and his dog, stopped to say hi. Got to use my French.

Rare pic: You can see her eye!

Walking home we also stopped and talked to two guys about their dogs etc. And a little later to a guy on a motorized buggy thing, about Zoe's cat obsession. (A lot of oldies driving around on these buggies!)

Like Sassy, my mum's poodle, Zozo is conscientious about checking pee mail.

That's it! I brought her once to see a house my parents are considering buying. She's such a good dog, she sat nicely tied up in the yard. And I brought her to my parents' place, where I went to help Stepmommy with some chores. She sat nicely nearby. Philea the African Gray really likes Zoe! She watches her and talks to her. Today was cooler so we went to a forest-ee walk at Bowen Park, which added 30 minutes to our walk... oh poor unfit moi. Gonna try to bring her to a nearby island this week.

I'd never get to know the town if it weren't for Zozo!
  

6 comments:

Skye said...

You are having such the adventures! A hawk, trying for the chickens most certainly. Walks and walks and walks. It sounds like fun and I wouldn't even enjoy taking care of a dog!

nancy said...

Zoe truly is beautiful, like a film star. I noticed a bit of Bardot in her in a few of the photos.

I don't think starlets guard against hawks, though, altogether different skill set. Thank goodness the chickens have Ella for protection!

widdershins said...

Keep this up and 'unfit you' isn't going to be unfit for much longer ... I wonder if that's part of the reason some dogs adopt 'oomins as their project.

CiCi said...

You go girlz! Sounds like you're all having great adventures. Yes, there's nothing like a dog for getting to know everybody and all the surrounding environs. They're like a magic key to the city. You can walk everywhere and nobody seems to question why you're there. Surprising really when you think about all the places they're not allowed to go.

I love the bit about Philea and Zozo. I wonder what she was telling her???

Julie said...

I survived the pre-dog posted pics, whew! Thank you. ;)

And ya know what? Even with my Native American/Mexican background, I get all red-faced too. Did it today, we could have been twins, lol!

Great adventures, just great.

London Mabel said...

@Skye - I wouldn't want to *own* one alone (without a hubby or roomie to share duties with) but for a couple months, it's been good for me.

@Nancy - That's exactly it. She's not a diva like Sassy, but she's very elegant, so I think she feels she's just not the right lady for all dog jobs. But her mother thinks it's good for her.

@widders - Apparently it's taking 4 dogs, no less, to get me in shape!

@Cici - Animal secrets that I doubt shall ever be revealed to moi.

@Julie - One day i dressed too warm and it felt like my head was going to boil off like Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}