QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Giant Nanaimo Bars & other tall tales

Alright--been on the mooove again. First from my mum's in Vancouver to my dad & stepmum's in Nanaimo. Then a couple days later to animal-sit for my brother's friend--we'll call her Harvey. 

At the Vancouver ferry terminal one of my grocery bags opened and my 1 kg glass jar of honey fell out and kersplatted. It was a peanut butter jar in which I'd transferred my honey. Perhaps this is why they don't sell honey in 1 kg glass jars. I wanted to take a photo of it, but that seemed a bit perverse, given the suffering of the guy who had to clean it up.

To comfort ourselves we bought this Nanaimo bar. Which is The World's Largest Nanaimo Bar (outside of a pan of not-yet-cut bars.) Who sells bars this big? The ferry terminal, that's who. Good thing there were 4 of us to share it. By the way, Pink Monkey (holding the bar) is one of the buddies I brought with me from home, along with Yoda, Oscar, and Minotaur (not pictured.) Somewhere along the way Pink Monkey and Oscar took became a couple.


weird red setting sun

ferry!

Stepmommy and hand injured in combat with Giant House Spider. (That is literally what they're called. Imaginative eh? It's one of the fastest spiders on record.)

requisite bebby deer

me looking drunk with Yoda and pirate at Pirate Chips

walk to old part of town--colorful house

cutesie shopping areas

store with puppy coats and carriers


the penny bank says "I'm savin' up for some therapy!"


And back "home" to my room. It's not a garret but it'll do. 

Tomorrow I'll show you my new animals friends. And then I have a whole bunch of photos and adventures I didn't post since April! Heavens. Will try to do that, in between my renewed job huntlies (now that I'm settled in town again) and writing my novel.
   

6 comments:

Julie said...

Nice (hand-made, quilted-with-love) tote bag!!!

Lol, great post. And thank you for the pictures.

I could just cry over the honey though. :(

Robena Grant said...

That honey must have been a mess. Sorry. : (
Love the photos, the colorful house, the shoes. You have a good eye for color and photography. Enjoy the rest of your stay, have fun.

Skye said...

Glad you had a companion to hold on to your nanaimo bar. Big bummer about your honey! What a loss.

Glad your going to spend your days split b between writing your novel and job hunting. I guess I should split mine between job hunting and revising.

Good luck!

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

You're so busy it makes me dizzy. Hehehe
I like that setting sun. Pirate Chips - what fun.
stop rhyming, stop rhyming, stop rhyming - sorry
I used to get buy my honey bulk from a dispenser at the Amish store. I would dispense it directly into a wide-mouth glass jar. Until I dropped it on the car port, that is. Shattered glass bits and sticky honey were everywhere.

widdershins said...

Oh my! Shattered glass and hunny.

...love the guy's feet stuck in the air in the ferry shot!

... Write on!

London Mabel said...

Alert: I should mention that I had bought the honey in a 2 kg plastic bottle. I just like to transfer it to the other one cause the opening is bigger. So I still have 1 kg of honey left. All was not lost.

@Julie - I loves my little bag. I did miss my big arm bag, cause a wee purse isn't right for ALL occasions. But it's light and easy to find things in, so I lobes it. Thank-you Julie!

@Robena - Merci!

@Skye - You can know that when you're suffering I am suffering along with you.

@JJJ - That's so Princess Bride, with the rhyming!

@widders - There was a Lacrosse player passed out on the floor in the row in front of me.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}