QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Everything I learned about life I learned from Yoda

When I went to London for 10 days I was mostly alone and I needed someone to put in my photos, so I brought three dolls with me: Yoda beanie, Wolverine, and Queen Amidala. Yoda turned out to be the best poser--he really looks like a tourist. I would tuck him into the pocket of my cargos, half sticking out, and stroll the London streets. People love Yoda Beanie. The other day I was even questioned by someone when we stopped at a road house!



But Yoda is also a great philosophical companion. I learned from him...

Mindfulness: "This one a long time have I watched. All his life as he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing!"

Make decisions from a place of calm: Luke "But how am I to know the good side from the bad?  Yoda "You will know. When you are calm, at peace. Passive."  I just came across a study that studied decision making among non-meditators, and regularly meditating monks. They found different parts of the brain lit up. The monks made decisions based on rationality, and not on emotion (such as whether they felt they were being treated fairly.)

What you think you create: (At the tree) Yoda "In you must go."  Luke "What's in there?"  Yoda "Only what you take with you."

and

(After Yoda raises the ship.) Luke "I don't believe it!"  Yoda "That is why you fail."

Have faith in your abilities: "Always with you it cannot be done. ...Do or do not. There is no try."

We're all one: "You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere! Yes, even between the land and the ship." Jill Bolte-Taylor learned that our right brains see the world this way.


Don't be superficial: "Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." This is why it saddens me when people complain that the final battle in Return of the Jedi should have been with wookies and not ewoks. As if the Empire would build a base on a wookie planet! The whole point is they underestimated the wee local natives.


And finally: We're bundles of energy, just like all the other life around us!

Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter!

5 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Right now I don't feel luminous so much as I feel hot. I really need a haircut. I know, too much information, right?

Robena Grant said...

Oh that's a good visual...luminous beings. Today, I shall be luminous. Oh and Judy, I know that hot feeling. I just got a haircut yesterday and now look like an old porcupine. : )

Skye said...

My only issue with what Yoda has said was "Do or do not. No try."

Well, you have to try to do things to see if you can do them. Try means attempt. Sometimes you fail. Few of us are successful right out of the gate.

But the rest, all good.

widdershins said...

I think Yoda was trying to tell Luke to commit to something with all his heart. Only then would he know if he could do it or not.

London Mabel said...

@JJJ & Robena - It's very strange living in this temperate climate. It was a bit humid today, but nothing compared to when I was in Montreal. ...Which is good cause I get hotter since gaining weight!!

@Skye & Widders - I think the "try" in this case is what widders is talking about. Because... I can't imagine Yoda wouldn't get behind trying new things. "Love the Vegemite or do not love the vegemite. There is no taste testing!" Trying new things is definitely cool. But... just don't try them, or anything, in that half assed way Luke was in the movie.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}