QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, June 7, 2012

To all the books I've loved before...

My writing has stopped cause I'm restructuring the book. It's like writing those first 61 000 words were necessary to invent all my puzzle pieces, but now I need to get them in the right order. So I haven't been keeping up to blogdate.

But in the meantime, here are some of the books I can remember loving as a kid...

Sometimes on kids' birthdays the parents would rent the projector from the library and show this one! Along with Bad Bad Leroy Brown...
 
Other library faves...
  


My dad was the great reciter for this one:

From my mum--for my blossoming feminism:

Monkeys drumming
Drumming on drums!


Loved. Animals.
Marmaduke was my fave comic.

Monkeys!

Animals!

And to the tiger in the zoo
Madeline said: Poo poo!

From the Serendipity series of books, that all had a little moral. I think my mum bought them.

Had some books on record, this was one.

A classic.

Had a book of Ukrainian folk tales from a grade 1 teacher, including Baba Yaga.

Actually I think I read a few of the originals in early junior high. Can't remember if someone read this to me as a child. So good.

Record of A Christmas Carol recited by Ronald Colman.

LOVED
LOVED
LOVED these books!

My dad bought me these and we'd read them together. I still have them.

Still have the Father Christmas books my dad bought me too. So funny too!


My brother got a magazine subscription (Owl maybe?) and I was jealous, and remember my mother saying next year when you're old enough you'll get one too. And this was it! I loved it.
     

5 comments:

Judie said...

I remember some of these. My favorite was a collection of stories my parents got for me. Some of the stories I'd never heard of before and some were old stand bys but with a twist. It had Ashputtle rather than Cinderella. There were stories from all different cultures, it was awesome.

I'd forgotten about it until you started me thinking about books I loved as a child.

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

Nice to see the books that made you. I was familiar with almost all of them.

widdershins said...

Ahhh - the joys of editing/rewriting.

Those books look like fun. I'm always impressed with folk who have that much memorabilia from their childhood, and memories as well.

Simone said...

FASCINATING how seeing some of those covers again after almost 40 years evoked strong EMOTIONS.

Wow.

I feel a little unsettled now.

London Mabel said...

@Simone - I know what you mean. Once in awhile working at Chapters I'd suddenly come across a book I'd forgotten about, and it would evoke a physical reaction in me.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}