QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Because you've been so very very good

Ms Brownlow sent me this wonderful treat for rewarding yourself after doing stanky work, like yard work. I can't use it because alcohol is an instant headache trigger for me. But it sounded so lovely I thought I'd better pass it on.

By the way [although this will do nothing for you if you can't tolerate alcohol], a super wonderful food reward treat thing I might give myself later this summer if I manage to do really really really a lot of getting my apartment in order before the end of the summer:  rum, put in the freezer for a few hours so that it gets thick; and Sharon's Sorbet fruit ice, just about any flavor.  You work really hard, so that you're hot and worn out and sweaty and messy.  Then you take a nice long shower and wash your hair and rinse off all the dust and let warm water sooth some of the achy muscles.  And then you barely towel off and take your still-damp self to recline in the most comfortable seat you have, just letting your muscles relax and enjoying the satisfaction of a job well done, and knowing you don't have to move again in all that heat.  And you scoop some of the frozen sorbet into a stemmed wide-mouthed glass, and then you pour some of the rum syrup over it, and you lie back in your most comfortable chair and eat your treat slowly with a spoon, savoring every mouthful.  And, because you don't have to do anything else or go anywhere else and because you've been so very very good, you can have a second helping.  You can even have a third.  More than that is not really a good idea. 

I promise, on a very hot afternoon, when you've been working very hard, and you have lots of aching muscles and got yourself really sweaty and grimy, it is a wonderful reward.  And I invented it!

5 comments:

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

That's an invention I can get behind. Gonna have to sample that.
I'll wait until after July, though. Cause in July there's going to be a vote and hopefully this won't be a retarded dry county anymore and I won't have to drive an hour to get a bottle of rum.

Robena Grant said...

It sounds delicious, but I could forgo the rum. Was more taken with the passionfruit sorbet. I love me some passionfruit, and wonder if I can find that here.

inkgrrl said...

Oh that sounds excellent. Coconut sorbet with Kraken Rum. On my to-do list.

Robena, you should be able to find all kinds of tropical fruits down in Palm Springs. Either at an upscale market or at a Mexican-Middle Eastern market. Failing that, next time you're up this way for a LARWA event, go shopping ;-)

widdershins said...

Wicked Mabel! .... Mmmmmmmm rum sorbet!

London Mabel said...

I feel someone's gotta enjoy it, if I can't!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}