QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown

I am fa-reeking OUT.

I just learned on frog-Zeba's blog that BBC has made a new adaptation of Shakespeare's "mini series" -- Richard II, Henry IV Part I, Henry IV Part II, and Henry V. I have an older version they made, and this one looks amaaazing!

 

Scene from the old one, An Age of Kings...

 

My lurv affair with this started when I saw Kenneth Branagh's Henry V in the theatre.

 

I watch it over and over. I got the idea to write a comedic modernisation--of Paris Hilton type fool who inherits her parent's company and turns out not to be an idiot. So then I started studying the three previous plays, to see how far back I wanted to start the story, and to figure out back story. They're actually better plays than Henry V, which is sort of pro-war pro-England propaganda. Orson Welles made a great adaptation of the Henry IVs called Chimes at Midnight.

 

I've worked out a fair amount of that book's characters and plot. It will probably include pirates. Many of the characters (Hal, Falstaff) are now women. When I'm done with my current book, that's the one I'm vair excited to write.



4 comments:

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

Sounds vair interesting.
What's the current book about?

Judie said...

Pirates. YaY!
This sounds like fun.

widdershins said...

What a glorious cast. The bard would've been proud. Looks like Auntie BBC has outdone herself again!

London Mabel said...

@JJJ - CUrrent WIP is about a Mohawk woman trying to get an artifact repatriated.

@Judie - Pirates can't but be fun, right?

@widders - Auntie BBC!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}