QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Life is short--cartoons are long

I'm in the middle of too many books! I started a book by aboriginal author Thomas King, and then I bought my next frog-read by Brussel Sprout, but then remembered I had to read Lani Diane Rich's first book cause they talked about it last Sunday and I wanted to read it before the discussion so I started that, and then a book I reserved at the library came in!


The library book is winning cause it's a graphic novel, won't take me long. I'm halfway done but I don't think it's too early to start praising it. I wrote in November about one of my fave graphic novelists, Guy Delisle, and now I'm reading his latest about Jerusalem. It's a great book for showing daily life in the Palestinian areas, Arab quarters, Jewish settlements, and so forth.

And since Delisle doesn't know a lot about the politics of the area, it's a pretty good primer. I can't recommend it enough. It might even be available at your library cause I think it's been a big seller. ...Maybe even available in Red states! given its subject matter.

I scanned the first cartoon for you cause I think it really sums up his style. He gets a lot across in very few panels, few words. They'll be bigger if you click on them (you might need to open them in a new window, Bloggers' viewer makes them still too small.)


3 comments:

robena grant said...

My parents in law are survivors of the holocaust. My M-I-L is now 100 years old and has gone through so much in life, and yet, she is one of the most "together" and happy people I know. Strange, huh?

widdershins said...

Just reading that first paragraph I had this image of you spinning round in a circle with opened books flying above your head, kinda like a book tornado!

London Mabel said...

@Robena - You've written about her a couple times and she does sound amazing. There's a big Jewish population in Montreal, and Palestinian too. It's hard cause people have grandparents with those tattoos on their arms.

@widders - It's just like that!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}