QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Mickey Cashes in This Trip

When I was wee my dad took us to a cabin for a little vacay, me and my older brother "Pablo." One night we sat by the fireplace and he told us this spooky story... About two gold prospectors in the Yukon, and one was from Tennessee, and was always cold. He made his friend promise to cremate him, and then died. The friend hauled the body around til he found an abandoned boat, and burned him in it. When he opened the door he saw his friend (Sam McGee) sitting there smiling:

And there sat Sam, looking cool and calm, in the heart of the furnace roar;

And he wore a smile you could see a mile, and he said: “Please close that door.It’s fine in here, but I greatly fear you’ll let in the cold and storm— Since I left Plumtree, down in Tennessee, it’s the first time I’ve been warm.”

I later learned it was a poem by Robert Service, which my dad learned from our Gramma, and she learned from her mum. Gramma would sometimes recite it to us, and it's our fave Robert Service poem.

 

It's on my mind because I'm "up country" right now, at 100 Mile House, so named because it was one of the towns that popped up because of a gold rush trail. We're here, my dad, brother and I, because our grandmother is dying.

My Gramma (Mickey to her pals) became comfortable with the idea of dying at least a year ago. She's been in a lot pain because of spinal stenosis, and she's had cancers come and go. Now her cancer is back and she's all: Cool. Let's get this show on the road.

She's so practical she even gave her kids and grandkids money to help us travel up to see her (the rest if the family is one province over.) So friends and relatives have all been making the pilgrimage to see her one last time, wish her well for her journey.

We can only visit about an hour at a time, so in the meantime Pablo and I are in a motel. My dad's been up here awhile, staying in his RV outside their house, helping out. It's one of those semi-sad occasions, where it's sad to think of losing someone, but they're ready to go and you have to let them. She's had a really fulfilling 25 with her second husband, square dancing and skiing and camping and playing cards. If you ask her how she is, she'll say: It's well with my soul.

And that very night, as we lay packed tight in our robes beneath the snow,
And the dogs were fed, and the stars o’erhead were dancing heel and toe,
He turned to me, and “Cap,” says he, “I’ll cash in this trip, I guess;
And if I do, I’m asking that you won’t refuse my last request.”



Okay she hasn't made any weird last requests.

At least none that I know of.

 

8 comments:

Robena Grant said...

Aww, hugs, London. It is sad to lose a loved one, but when they're ready we just have to do what you're doing and that's stand back and wish them well. I hope she slips away peacefully.

Skye said...

Hugs, LM. I know it's hard to lose someone, even if they are ready. I'm glad you get to see her and say good bye and exchange love. I hope she goes easily and as comfortably as possible, once everyone has had the chance to see her.

Take care, dear.

widdershins said...

Bon Voyage to your Grandma, and hugs to you.

Simone said...

even when you are ready... you're never quite THAT ready :( Sadness.

Kate George/Bodacious Betty said...

Hey LM, Did I ever tell you I lived in Vancouver for a while in my youth? Long, long ago. I'm sorry your Grandma is getting to leave you, but as you say when they are ready you can't keep them. My Mom died of cancer, and the night before she died she sat up in bed, (hadn't been speaking in days) and said "Why is this taking so long?"

We aren't meant to be here forever, but the loss is hard just the same. FGBVs to you.

Julie said...

Blessings for her journey, much love and many hugs for those she's leaving behind. Until you all meet again.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Seems like you're having a lot of transition lately. Some asked for, some not. Take care of yourself, my friend.

London Mabel said...

Thanks everyone! We had a lovely few days. Her pain meds are all balanced out, so she was doing better. The last of her kids is coming in eight days, and she's exactly the kind of person you'd want to usher you into the next life. (Very spiritual.)

@Kate - You did! We are west coast sisters! -- And in re your mum, that's exactly my grandmother's feeling.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}