QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Friday, June 15, 2012

Storytelling Mediums: Dance

Do you guys listen to the Storywonk podcast? For those who don't know it's a weekly (once was daily) podcast about writing. But the real idea is to study and celebrate storytelling in all forms.

Dance is probably one of the earliest storytelling mediums, before we had language even. I only watched So You Think You Can Dance one season, when staying with my mum, but a couple of the dances were so moving I still remember them. Great storytelling. Romances, in this case...

I think this was of two weird people finding each other...


She finds out he's going off to war...


Trying to get her workaholic beau to slow down...

5 comments:

Robena Grant said...

My fave was Bleeding Love. Really enjoyed that. Thanks. : )

Judie said...

I adore that show. Without doubt love the story telling in dance.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Wow those were all cool. So original.
When I was supporting my gdaughter in her love of ballet I was amazed at how much can be said by dance movement and no words.
(She studied for 5 years. Now she's moved on to kick boxing. I admit I miss the recitals.)

widdershins said...

SYTYCD has the most consistently amazing choreography I've ever seen. Thanks for the clips.

London Mabel said...

@Robena - It made me like that song, when I used to hate it.

@Judie - Since I'm at my mum's I'm watching it again. It is really good. The judges are NICE.

@JJJ - Do they have kick boxing recitals? I expect you'd love that.

@widders - Glad you enjoyed, madam.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}