QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Life in a Small Town Part II

Mabel looks at life in a small town (or maybe it's just a town, but not small?)

Continued from Part I


* Quebec has a lot of churches, but a lot of atheism and agnosticism to go with that. Here people seem to actually attend church, in part because lots of retirees. And much of the town shuts down on Sundays. But that's not a bad thing when you're in a service job.

* Our Member of Parliament is a Conservative who's held his seat for 12 years. My neighborhood back home is a Liberal stronghold--one of the few that survived "the Orange crush" at the last election--the crushing having been done by the party to the left of the Liberals. It's weird for me being in a Con constituency. I'm suspicious of everyone. Are my co-workers all Cons? I don't know if this reflects all the oldies, or the sort of redneckatude here. Small towns are conservative, I guess. 

* There is redneckatude. I don't say that as an insult, I just suspect there's a higher percentage of men here who could post on thereifixedit.  At home I lived in a well-to-do white suburb and worked at a bookstore where 90% of staff are university students. But that's not great either. So I'm enjoying the workingclassesqueness for now. And there's a higher chance I'll meet Terry and Deaner.

(This is kind of the accent here. And I've caught myself doing it.)

A girl my dad knows would sometimes get discouraged because she felt her pro-gay/transgender activities weren't looked on as Quite the Thing. My dad told her: "You need to meet someone other than Christians." And assured her that she'd meet some of her peeps when she went away to school in Vancouver.

My first or second day on the job my supervisor looked at this red bike we got in and said: "It's nice but I'd feel like a faggot riding that around town." I was so startled I couldn't protest. I finally said: "But I'd feel like Pee Wee Herman!" Well, we'll leave the politicizing 'til they get to know me better. 

(And I should mention the ladies at the bookstore represent the other end of the spectrum--that reads a lot, and knows their Canadian lit, and I'd bet they're small-L liberal.)

* Everyone I work with is super nice, which is most, most important to me. But we don't have quite the same sense of humor. I held up a freaky looking clown doll to my supervisor and said "Wouldn't this give you nightmares?" and now he thinks I'm afraid of clowns. I was expecting him to start back in fear, which is what my brother would do. Or say "What the fuuuck?" which Gilby would do. Or say "Okay... that's just disturbing" which Vidal would do. Or say "Stop it--you're giving me nightmares" which Maewitch would do. Instead he said: "I knew another girl who was afraid of clowns."

Mind, they probably don't think I'm a barrel of laughs either. I'm always reading.

And to be fair, the full-timer woman I work with, we have some things in common. And in other Nanaimo news, there is Harvey.

* People offer strangers lifts when they realize they'll have trouble getting their stuff home. At least in my store they do. (My customers are really patient, nice people.) There are lots of nice people back home, but most men wouldn't offer lifts to the ladies precisely because they'd be Suspicioned. I've been offered lifts (back in Mtl) but didn't take them--except once from a female couple.

Really it's so gorgeous here, if my heart wasn't back in Montreal, I'd be fine. But today I saw a wee puppy and it made me miss my cats so much I wanted to jump the next flight home. (I settled for crying in my bedroom. I didn't even have cookies!) In the meantime I try to imagine I'm living one of these Northern Exposure type shows. And just enjoy the ride.
    

4 comments:

Skye said...

Aw, I wish you could be home with your other family too. I'm glad you can find things of interest and intellectual stimulation (if only of the WTF kind) where you are. You are doing very well, being so far away from your home and out of your element. You have an open and curious mind and an open heart, which help no matter where you go. FGBVs, girl!

widdershins said...

It's tough being so far apart from your heart-beings ... any possibilities of you all being on the same side of the country sometime soon?

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

Funny clip. Nice tune.
You went there originally looking for a job, right?
So are there job prospects that suit you? (You're just thinking of the current one as a waiting place. Or do I have that wrong?)
I always loved Northern Exposure but I did worry that I would get tired of some of those people. And I know the unpleasant nature of living in a religious, conservative atmosphere when you're not.

London Mabel said...

@Skye - Thanks! :-)

@widders - Alas alack, no. If my current job offers me something permanent after Christmas, though, I'll take it. And if it's full-time then I'd be on my way to kittyhood.

@JJJ - If they keep me, I think I'll stay with the thrift store for a bit--I've decided. Because with the personal stuff going on, some days my head's not totally in the game. And working with nice people, in a job that's well within my capabilities, and where if I make a mistake it means I've put a short sleeved shirt in with the long sleeves... I think that's a good atmosphere for where I'm at.

This became clear to me last week when I broke down crying simply because my stepmother asked me not to run the washing machine after the birds were in bed, lol. The next day at work I thought: This is all I can, and should be, doing right now. !!

(And no, I haven't yet ruled out anti-depressants.)

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}