QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Went to a concert! Yays!

My dad and I went to see Hawksley Workman Friday night. He's a fantastic pop-rock artist with great lyrics and weird, interesting twists and turns to his songs. And though he expresses himself in odd ways, the songs are about experiences we can all relate to.

He sang 5 of my favorite songs! Here they are, in case you wish to dabble a little...


We'll Make Time
Cartier asked various artists to write a song about love. When he submitted this they were like "Um this wasn't the kind of love we were thinking of."  ...But the song is brilliant! It's about trying to keep a relationship going for the long haul (you know... like the kind of watch Cartier makes!) There are all kinds of analogies with watches and plays on time. And the beat of the song itself sounds like a watch ticking. What's not to love??
I know we're corny, old fashioned
Is forever really true?
But when I say that you're for me
And baby, baby I'm for you
And though the grass is always greener
but you still have to cut it
And the scars you get together
Are the scars you really covet


Your Beauty Must Be Rubbing Off
He said it's about fear--his fear of flying, fear of marriage, fear of having kids... all rolled into one song where the narrator imagines his wife dying in a plane crash!
So let me say you look lovely in all of this
And let me say that the death that I fear
Could in part be a fear that I'd lose you just as I found you


You Me and the Weather
I love the way he keeps kicking the song into a higher range.


Piano Blink
Written while running away from Amsterdam after an affair that quickly went south.
Let's say we're happy even though
Let's be happy even though 
We know we're both done trying

   

2 comments:

Skye said...

I could only watch two of them; the other two were "not available in your country." Wow. But he's interesting. Glad you got to go to a concert and have fun with your dad!

London Mabel said...

S'okay, I don't expect people to watch all the videos I put up. Takes time! Plus music taste is so individual. (Well, okay, ALL taste is.)

Anyway, a good time was had by all.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}