QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Friday, November 23, 2012

Stop running

Alright, I'm done. My brain/soul/heart are all bitching and complaining that I'm making them do something they emphatically don't want to do, and they're running out of ways to let me know. (Their latest desperate move has been to make my characters unbearably boring. I've never written a story before where I was bored by every single last one of my characters. So this move got my attention.)

Yes writing is work, but it's not supposed to be "Worst Jobs in History" kind of work.


I'm going to listen to my body and stop. When it wants to write again, it'll let me know. Maybe we'll go back to quietly puttering away on our novella. Maybe we'll just read books. Maybe we'll just watch TV. I don't know. Tonight I'm gonna get some cheesies and catch up on Hart of Dixie.

One of my friends has a lot of health problems and often has to stop and completely REST or else she'll just get worse. And I'm always nagging her that it's okay to take those rest periods and not feel guilty that other things aren't getting done. Her body needs the rest. Not "wants" but needs.

I'm going to take my own advice.

The day that you stopped running
Was the day that you arrived

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yoda approves...

London Mabel said...

Thank-you O Green One.

Robena Grant said...

A wise decision. Your writing will be better for the break. : ) Now go enjoy some TV.

Skye said...

Breaks can be very good things. Letting yourself be free of any pressure or expectations can be healing. Enjoy the puttering and TV-watching!

widdershins said...

S'good to be an 'oomin being, and not an 'oomin doing for a while.

Julie said...

Well, my mother would certainly be proud of you for listening to your body and resting. She always says a good break is healthy, for mind-body-spirit.

Go see her treating the horse in yesterday's post, it's a great phone photo by Hanna.

London Mabel said...

@Robena. Thanks I've caught up on all my shows!

@Skye - I've already been in a better mood the last two days.

@widders - Good point :-)

@Julie - Ah yes, that's another thing I have time for again! Les blogs!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}