QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, August 6, 2011

3 old work friends, 1 teacher, + 1 oldy-but-goody pal

Not much to report this weekend, just some socializing.

* I ran into a woman I worked with 13 years ago. That was fun, cause I have thought about her often. She was a real book lover, and you don't forget real book lovers. ;-) She hadn't changed! (I have, my days.)

* On Tuesday I went to see a couple short aboriginal films and poetry readings, and ran into my high school English teacher (we only had 3 in my school). She looked great too, and just as bubbly and full of energy. We rode the metro together until my stop. So that was another fun encounter.

* Then Wednesday was sushi with my since-grade-7-besty Swiss Girl, which has become a nice routine. I discovered that the street we go to is where the well known comic store Drawn and Quarterly is housed and I finally picked up a book I've been wanting. (I told the book store people it was a new book, but it came out in '09. Just shows how my life is flashing before my eyes, cause I know I first looked for it when it was announced as new lol.)

* Last weekend Fernando and I had supper with an old work friend and her boyfriend, who was also a work friend though of a later generation (when you work somewhere for 15 years you speak in generations.) She eventually left the workplace to focus on her ceramics-art career and is doing well for herself. We love her things! She has a really distinctive style--it's playful, but with a lot of craftsmanship and dedication to detail and high standards (like her!)









She throws every single one by hand, no employees yet. I think she sells to a boutique in the US, but it's not listed on her website.

Here's an older photo of our things.



During the daytime this week I'll photograph our new buys. But let me tell you, when you wake up all grumpilstickinsy, it certainly helps to eat your cereal from a bowl that's smiling at you. It would be so nice to make little plastic kiddie bowls! But apparently to get a design manufactured can cost tens of thousands of dollars--to go to China and find a manufacturer you can trust etc. Yikes! It's apparently better to find someone who already does something of that sort. (Someone who won't just steal your design idea for themselves, I guess? !!)

She hopes to move towards more art pieces soon, rather than utility art. So we have to collect all the bowls and cups we can.

Her boyfriend Ford is equally interesting and fun to hang with. Li's shortish (of Chinese descent, although born in a small northern francophone town) and he's really tall (of... East Indian? descent, but I forget which country) so just physically they are a striking couple.



I think he designed her wonderful web site, and he's a writer, and just an all-around friendly guy who seems to know everyone on the planet. But also brim-full of interesting ideas.

Even though they lived down the street from us for years (and now they don't), this was the first time we got together with them socially. !!  We'll definitely do it again. We talked a lot about Li's business, and my crap. We need to get to know Ford now!

                          

No comments:

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}