QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Always look on the bright side of death

I realized as I was reading and writing about optimism yesterday that there are many different aspects to it. Usually when we think of optimism we think of the "Pollyanna" glass half full thing. So when I put "optimism" into the Google image search last night I got these...

I like these first two as examples of how you can view the positive in a situation, even beyond the half empty half full cliché:
 

I like this one cause it's silly.

This one is a good example of why realists get annoyed by what they call the Pollyannas. 

There are many situations that are like the glasses in the first two pictures--there really is something positive there, and the person is just NOT seeing it. Or there are some situations that are just medium crappy and by being really negative, you're just making yourself and everyone around you even more miserable. 
I've been in work situations like that. Everyone's pissed about the dress code, or a new software system, and after the normal mourning period there's still a percentage of people who just won't get over it. Even if they're right and the new system is worse than the old one--your grumpypusskin face isn't going to change your company's mind. Only time and bad experiences will do that.
So it's not even a question of seeing the glass as half full, but of refocusing your attention on other stuff. Of getting on with your life. Maybe your work life is half full, but your friend life is a full plate of chocolate chip cookies.

But if the thing that's half full is something BIG like... you're in a concentration camp... then f*** that guy who says "but look at the bright side... you lost those extra pounds! ...You don't have to decide what to wear in the morning! ...You don't have to go to your in-laws on sabbath supper anymore!" "I'M IN A DEATH CAMP!!"

Trying to see the bright side in every situation is trite and insulting. There might be something positive happening, but that doesn't mean we need to be cheered up by it, or we have to appreciate it.

Viktor Frankl believed there was value and meaning to be found in seeing how you react in the face of injustice and suffering, but he wrote that later, right? After he was out of Auschwitz, when he was trying to help other survivors recover from post-traumatic stress.

BUT... I do have one more "but."

I do think there is one kind of positive thinking that you should retain throughout a crappy situation, and that's positive thinking about yourself. You don't have to see the glass as half full, you don't have to see Beauty and Meaning in your suffering, but I think we should always try to speak well of ourselves. Because again, I think that's basic to our survival and recovery.

So when you're depressed and you accomplish something, I do believe you should acknowledge it. At a very minimum, stay neutral and don't run yourself down! But how much better to say, "Today I cleaned up the kitchen, I felt productive." "Today I redid my CV I only procrastinated half as much as usual, I'm getting better at this."

I agree that in a concentration camp setting (since I keep using the Frankl example) one isn't going to care how well one paved a road for the Nazis. But Frankl wrote, "The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails... gives him ample opportunity--even under the most difficult circumstances--to add a deeper meaning to his life." So maybe meaning-in-suffering was meaningful even at the time of the suffering. Because it was the only thing you could feel good about.

For example, Frankl had the chance to escape at one point when he was treating patients, but he just couldn't leave him. After deciding to stay, "I had gained an inward peace that I had never experienced before. I returned to the hut, sat down on the boards at my countryman's feet and tried to comfort him; then I chatted with the others, trying to quiet them in their delirium." And he remembered the men who would give away their last piece of bread to others, because choosing to be that kind of person was the one thing their captors couldn't take from them.

So it seems like even in the direst of situations, "being positive" might simply mean remembering what you like about yourself, patting yourself on the back for those things (let's be egotistical for a moment), and keeping those things. Keeping your character isn't your #1 concern when survival is at stake, but it's probably a survival mechanism. Like the hope/focus-on-future I wrote about yesterday, I think Frankl is saying: This is another prop to keep you standing at the darkest times.

Alright, that's two non-"Pollyanna" aspects of positive thinking. Now I promised you a story. I recently met a woman whose father has Alzheimer's--she and her brother care for him. They decided early on that they would cope with the situation by using humor: They joke about the situation as much as possible. Not cruelly, bu about the eccentric situations Alzheimer's creates.

The way their father will suddenly speak out loud during a hushed moment between songs at church; or the way, during a trip to the Maritimes, he got to *rediscover* calamari every day (or some such seafood) because he'd forgotten what it was. It helps them be more patient, and therefore helps him to be happier. When her mother was still alive, she had a stroke and couldn't speak, and this woman said it was quite comical to see the two of them trying to communicate.

It was the first non-heart breaking Alzheimer's story I'd ever heard. (And reminds me I owe her an email!)

Today's song--a no-brainer
               

3 comments:

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I had an ex who liked to point out that if you worked in an alzheimers clinic you only had to know one joke. Hehehe.
Be positive about who I am in the face of a negative circumstance. I like that.

widdershins said...

Long Live Monty Python!

London Mabel said...

heh heh

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}