QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I tell you: Positive Thinking is a Survival Skill!

Can't believe yesterday I forgot to put in this half-empty cartoon that my brother sent me once when I was feeling discouraged about something BIG. It was exactly what I needed.


"It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty, 
I am gonna drink it through this crazy straw!"


(Especially on point because my mother was the type of mother who always found things like crazy straws and spider rings before any other parent on the block. Never one to pass up a novelty thrill, that's my mother. She had pink flamingos loooong before they were trendy.)

Also my brother was the one who first told me about this book years ago. But I'm sleepy so I won't be quoting, just retelling from memory...
The story of the scientist who lost half her brain exemplifies both of the Optimism Arguments I made Monday and Tuesday. For those who've never heard of her, Jill Bolte-Taylor had a stroke on the left side of her brain, which allowed her to really understand just what the right brain does in terms of being creative and uninhibited, and experiencing her Self as being at one with the matter around her. Not in a woo-ee way, but seriously, concretely. She had trouble distinguishing her hand from the desk, and it was really Nice. And when people came to visit her, though she couldn't understand their words at first, she sensed energy from them, and if they were draining her energy (if they were rude, impatient) she'd shut them out.


Jill was told all sorts of dire things by the doctors about not recovering full use of her left brain functions (speech, memory, logical thinking etc). She says she needed people who believed she would completely recover from her stroke, in order to recover. She needed people to believe that she would recover full use of her left brain, even if it wasn't "realistic" to believe this. Believing in an island under the milk was key to her recovery, and having those around her believe too.





She and her mother (her caregiver) both believed that it was absolutely crucial to celebrate every success she had, even though they pretty much consisted of reading one word and then sleeping the rest of the day. No negative thoughts or ideas were allowed. She took the well wishing cards people sent and hung them all over her house, even though she couldn't read them.

And she did recover use of the left side of her brain. Against the early predictions of her doctors. And she also got the insight of her right brain out of it--a more balanced and peaceful life. And the ability to help other stroke sufferers.

So put that in your Pollyanna pipe and smoke it. ;-)
           

7 comments:

The Merry said...

That's what I need to make my life complete... a crazy straw! :)

widdershins said...

Pollyanna - the most maligned optimist in history!

London Mabel said...

I think I have a crazy straw here somewhere...

And I remember liking the movie Polyanna! It was kind of like Anne of Green Gables, where she wins over the grumpy old lady.

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I had a massage client who had suffered a stroke. The docs told him he would never walk again.
He made his wife push him to the park everyday and dump him out of his wheelchair. He crawled until he could walk. Now he walks.
Rain-on-patients-parade drs do not impress me. Asshats.

Anonymous said...

Kinda funny how books show up exactly when we need them to huh? SO glad you are enjoying this as much as I did (which was also what the person who recommended it to ME said).
Julie

London Mabel said...

JJJ - lol That makes for a funny image. Especially if he never walked, and there he was 20 years later, still getting dumped in the park...

Julie - I didn't so much need the positive thinking message, though it was a good story to "collect" -- but I wanted to read more about her right-brained-one-with-the-universe-ness. I would like to learn how to meditate but I have a noisy brain. This right brain stuff seems to hold the key!

Maggie said...

I watched her TED speech - amazing woman, and possibly one of the best explanations of that "we are all one with the universe" spiritual ideas I've ever heard.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}