QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Miss Piggy: She will cut you where you stand!

On the Bettyverse blog today writer and a Betty wrote about her Cathy doll, whose been a constant companion for many ack-filled years. It's a wonderful, well-written post--takes a minute to read... go on, you know you wanna!

Made me think of the Miss Piggy puppet my dad bought my mum when I was about 5 or 6. My mother loved Miss Piggy for... need one explain? She's tough, yet feminine. Always strong. Never diets. Always stands up for herself. Believes herself to be irresistible and a star. Always believes in herself. And will cut you if you stand in her way. I tend to refer to her on this blog when I feel like we need someone to stand up for the ladies. Where's a pig when you need her!

And though this has never occurred to me before, I love that Henson chose a pig as his ultimate feminine role model muppet. Because this way she's always fat isn't she? But she's meant to be fat. It's part of who she is, she's a pig. Or as she once sang: She's a woooooman!  W-o-m-a-n  p-i-g.





Thanks to the cartoonists and mupeteers of the world for giving us our fictional friends and role models to get us through the hard times.
          

3 comments:

Robena Grant said...

Ha ha. I love this. I'm a huge Miss Piggy fan.

widdershins said...

HiiiiiyAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

Miss Piggy rocks. I am still constantly amazed at the genius of the Muppets. I'm forever remembering something from them and finding it on utube to share with my gkids.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}