QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Retro Kitty Weekend

 
Here are some photos from about 2005-2008, at the end of my BA in Political Science, and during my Poli MA when I was also a Teaching Assistant.

Tigernan, or Nombly, was an anxious, peaceable tabby. A cuddler, always in the room with the people. The one cat with whom my friend Gilby felt comfortable (he still uses his name when playing online games.) He was my husband's soul mate, until we had to put him down two years ago. When Haley came to town he tentatively enjoyed playing with her, but she confused him. He also started peeing everywhere, even after the household settled down.

Lord Sherringham, or Sherry or Bones, was a long-haired white cat with one blue eye and one green eye. He was cool, laid back, only cuddled when he got older. Played rough. Top cat. Avoided trouble, but if he had to fight--look out. Whenever Nombly came home from the vet he didn't recognize him for a day or two, threw a shitfit cause he thought it was a home invasion. So you can imagine how he reacted to Haley. We had to put him down  less than a year after Nombly.

 
Sherry and Haley were mortal enemies at first, and even after they learned to tolerate each other she loved to bait him. Which is why she gets little sympathy when Evil Minion baits her. In a shocking blog post, Haley admitted to murdering both Bones and Nombly--I'll repost that here later, you'll see what I mean. So it's possible she'll get the last laugh against EM too.

So here I was, angry at the paper I was writing...


But cats are so helpful...


  




Lo! Bursting from the stats books in he nick of time! It's Quantitative Methods Cat!


 "Well the answer is so clear, so I have to explain it to you again?"
 

Skip this article, it's very dull.

 

They're less helpful with grading...
 

Here are the Many Faces of Homework Pain (and sometimes literal pain because my headaches were at their peak, just before I finally went to a neurologist.)


(My brother says this one should be my author picture.)



 

That's a special mixture of headache/cold/and Foucault pain (wanted to sleep sooo badllllyyy).


Freezing in the computer lab pain while running stats pain:
 

(Which made the loan of this PC by a friend, so I could run the stats software on it from home, all the more wonderful. Thank-you Lord Vidal. OH MY DAYS did that ever help.)


I did what I could to stay sane...

Soy ice cream
 

 Sneaking Heyer on the side

Chair dancing

Tea

Hair dye

 And of course cats:
 

But 5 years of this wore us all down...
...to drug use (note the spoon! sob)...

And even led to madness.
 
 (Or pissed offness, at any rate.)
But at the end of the degree, after I edited the very last splitch of my research paper, messy haired and in jammies, I took this photo--a reproduction of my friend Gilby's famous Victory pose after the famous game of Survivor played amongst our friends.


          

No comments:

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}