QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Discovering discovery writing

It's interesting when you see something you do in your own writing process, and then someone else puts a label on it. Here's a course given by Lani Diane Rich/Lucy March (the writer who started the Betty-o-land community I'm part of):

Discovery Writing

How often have you gotten a critique back, or given one out, in which the advice was to cut the first three chapters? There's a reason for this phenomenon. There is a phase in writing called Discovery, in which the writer becomes familiar with their work, their world, their characters, their story.

As a result, they end up writing work that isn't quite right for the book, weighing early chapters down with infodump, backstory, and inconsistent characterization. By honoring your Discovery process, and setting aside time to write with abandon scenes and vignettes that won't be part of the book, you end up strengthening the book in the end.

In the Discovery Writing class, Lani will lead you through the writing techniques that will help you get to know your characters, find your voice for this story, settle your POV, and write your provisional opening scene, all while building a strong foundation so that when you're ready to start writing for the book, you can open with a bang.


If I wasn't having to watch my pennies I'd take the course, or at least the related one in September. But it's too late for me anyway, because I'm deep in this phase now. But I've never heard anyone articulate it--I wonder if she and her husband (who does a lot of the Storywonk instructionals with her) plan to write a writing "how to" book specifically focused on it. Wouldn't be surprised. 

I'd also like to take the course to toss her and her hubs some support! I'll do the next best thing and encourage everyone else to take her courses, cause I suspect she's a very good teacher. Her blog writing is very clear and inspiring.

I really experienced the Discovery concept when working on my next novel, because for my last few Nanowrimos that's what I did--instead of trying to write actual work, I just wrote nonpublishable faux writing. "Discovery writing." It was fantastic, I got tons of ideas, discovered my characters, cut some, added, understood the tone I wanted, etc.--all the stuff she talks about.


Which is why for this book I've been contemplating writing a very very rough first draft, and not even writing the book all the way through. Just writing the first third of the book maybe, and then stopping. See what that generates, what ideas it gives me, and then starting fresh. 

I wanted to know more about the Discovery idea so I looked for a Storywonk podcast on the topic and found this one. Lani and Alistair argue that watching TV shows and movies and reading is part of filling your personal creativity tank and figuring out your personal style in this stage, which confirms this is the stage I'm in right now. 

I've mostly been resisting TV series recommendations from other people, and just rolling around in the stuff I feel the need to watch, whether it's rewatching a Woody Allen's Crimes and Misdemeanors, or a Marx Brothers movie or Bringing Up Baby. And I'm reading 7 books at once, plus JJJ's Hungry Ghosts, plus I'll be starting another graphic novel soon. The creative side of my brain is very hyperactive right now. So I'm pretty sold on this novel discovery idea. No idea when it'll stop though! Ack! Some other things (good things) have derailed my attention at the moment.


Les films:




Les books: These first ones were chosen for non-mynovel reasons. By the way, my French Practicing is coming along well. My written French still needs work, but my spoken is really coming back to me--I was tested recently and to my relief it went well. ;-)






The ones I've since started relate in some way to me discovering/soak up/reflecting upon sense of humor and tone for my novel. Rich just re-released two books and I wanted to finally try her out.








About the various employees/owners of an English language paper in Rome. Just started but I like the characters right away. I like books with various characters/storylines. Communities. Very well written.











Total random pick up at the library. About a family with a complete evil mother, whom the father finally leaves, and how he starts a new life away from her. Sort of pedestrian but the characters are charming.

The new Rennison! Hard to top the Georgia character cause she was the classic dumb narrator, but it's good so far. No cat character alas, but there is a nasty big owl, and freaky child characters who just may rival Georgia's little sister (this time it's twin boys). And her Yorkshire setting is fantastic--the kind of setting where the setting is a character. But a comedy character!








       

2 comments:

lora96 said...

Oh I am sooo familiar with the first-three/five/twenty-chapters-are-unnecessary issue. I'm a baad infodump girl....must work on this.

London Mabel said...

It's a great concept isn't it? I hope she writes a book one day, cause I think it would sell.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}