QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Friday, August 19, 2011

The little evil one

I actually bought, like, 8 sparkle balls last weekend. Every time Evil's bugging her sister I pull one out and that sets her off again.



Stealing food is her other favorite game. She'll take anything, though her favorite it rat-sized food. Something that makes her feel like she's just run off with a big rat. Like I'll put my croissant down on the table next to the sofa, watch TV for a minute, then realize it's disappeared. I jump off the couch and see - swish! - a tail disappear 'round the hall corner into my bedroom.

I set off in hot pursuit. "Give me back my croissant you fink!" I can't find her in my room, she's hunkered down under the bed eating my croissant.

 This is her little kitchen tunnel. When she leaps onto the counter to steal something, I don't hear a thing.

 She's not allowed on the counters, but I let her go above them.
So if I say "OFF!" she jumps up onto the pasta...
 or onto the fridge. 

From the fridge she can see what's cooking. 
Yesterday she was so quiet up there I forgot about her. I left the kitchen for a minute and when I returned there were only 2 samosas in Fernando's bowl, instead of 3.
And a furry bum thing away, clutching a dead samosa-rat in its mouth.

 These tofu pieces were a bit small game for her. But I didn't eve hear her take one out of the pan. Just saw her on the floor a moment later, chowing down.

Stealing chips is harder. I've had cats try to steal my chips since the beginning of time, so I'll well trained in the defensive arts.

I put all her toys into a basket this week, to clean the floors.
"Who said you could put all my toys in this basket?"

"Now I have all this work to do!"

She immediately started removing them.

We have quieter moments, though, like watching a storm together.




(She looks like she even has deep thoughts in this picture!
Probably wondering where I keep the samosas.)

Til it started raining harder.

"Bleh!"







Reading together.
 

Watching zombie movies together.
 

She even sleeps sometimes.
And then she's almost angelic. Almost.


                 

3 comments:

widdershins said...

Thanks for the kitteh pics ... samosas are hot and spicy, does this fact even slow her down ... just a little bit?

nancy said...

Love Minion so much, and admire her great brain. I don't have food theft issues with my present cats, although I did have a little orange guy who would steal brocolli from dinner plates on the run, even while we sat at the table. Well, he'd lived rough for a while, so I'm guessing he'd learned to love it after a period of finding it in rubbish bins around the area.

Your story of Minion's cleverness [okay, you don't always see it as such perhaps] reminded me of my border collie Tess who was brilliant at flipping the lid up from the pizza box, then quickly grabbing a slice, then letting the lid fall back down as she escaped to the next room. We'd all fight about who was taking extra slices, invariably accusing my mother of being the greedy one, until the day I spotted Tess doing it.
Well, we always knew border collie's are clever. I miss her so, and I thank you for your stories and photos of your own clever and industrious animal companions.

London Mabel said...

@widder - She didn't get far enough into the samosa to find out, but these ones aren't too hot anyway.

@nancy - I DO admire her cleverness! You should see me running after her, laughing and cursing her at the same time.

Your Tess story is so funny!! lol I imagine her snickering to herself as you guys all fight.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}