QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

But sh*t, it was 99 cents!

I mentioned Macklemore and Lewis before in re their song on gay relationships. Today we have their song on thrift shopping, something he's addicted to. Since I work in a thrift shop I felt I should share the song. Here's Macklemore's advice on how to thrift shop:

You have to be open-minded, and you've gotta dig around the entire store—not just the men's section. Hit up the shoe section, the women's section, the toy section. Some of my best finds have been in sections that weren't meant for me.

Though the songs are totally different in tone, they have one thing in common--they both run counter to hip hop culture. Acceptance of homosexuality is slllloooowly reaching hip hop (great article on this here) and in "Thrift Shop" he's playing on the hip hop culture of wearing top brands:

Draped in a leopard mink, girl standing next to me
Probably shoulda washed this, smells like R.Kelly sheets, piss
But shit, it was 99 cents



Here are my top 5 fave scenes from "Thrift Shop" :

1. Hottie-driven bike ride arrival.

2. "R Kelly" riding by.

3. "I wear your grampa's clothes
I look incredible"

4. Dancing in Batman onesie.

5. Little girl saying: "Is that your grandma's coat?"




Lyrics explained at rapgenius.com !

[Hook: Wanz]
I’m gonna pop some tags, only got twenty dollars in my pocket
I’m, I’m, I’m hunting, looking for a come up, this is fucking awesome

[Verse One: Macklemore]
Walk into the club like what up? I got a big cock
Nah, I’m just pumped, I bought some shit from the thrift shop
Ice on the fringe is so damn frosty
The people like “Damn, that’s a cold ass honky”
Rolling in hella deep, headed to the mezzanine
Dressed in all pink except my gator shoes, those are green
Draped in a leopard mink, girl standing next to me
Probably shoulda washed this, smells like R.Kelly sheets, piss
But shit, it was 99 cents, buy it, cop it and washing it

‘Bout to go and get some compliments, passing up on those moccasins
Someone else has been walking in, bummy and grungy, fucking it

I am stunting and flossing and saving my money and I’m hella happy
That’s a bargain bitch
I’mma take your grandpa style
I’mma take your grandpa style
no for real, ask your grandpa
Can I have his hand-me-downs?
 Velour jumpsuit and some house slippers
Dookie Brown leather jacket that I found digging
They had a broken keyboard, I bought a broken keyboard
I bought a skeet blanketthen I bought a knee board
Hello, hello, my ace man, my Miller
John Wayne ain’t got nothing on my fringe game, hell no
I could take some Pro Wings, make them cool, sell those
The sneaker heads would be like “Ah, he got the Velcros”


[Hook 2X]

[Verse Two: Macklemore]
What you know about rocking a wolf on your noggin?
What you knowing about wearing a fur fox skin?
I’m digging, I’m digging, I’m searching right through that luggage
One man’s trash, that’s another man’s come up
Thank your granddad for donating that plaid button up shirt
‘Cause right now, I’m up in here stunting
I’m at the Goodwillyou can find me in the bins
I’m that sucker, sucker searching in the section
Your grammy, your aunty, your momma, your mammy
I’ll take those flannel zebra jammies, second hand and I’ll rock that motherfucker

They built a onsie with the socks on the motherfucker
I hit the party and they stop in that motherfucker
They be like “Oh that Gucci, that’s hella tight”
I’m like “Yo, that’s fifty dollars for a t-shirt”

Limited editionlet’s do some simple addition
Fifty dollars for a t-shirt, that’s just some ignorant bitch shit
I call that getting swindled and pimped, shit
I call that getting tricked by business, that shirt’s hella dough

And having the same one as six other people in this club is a hella don’t
Peep game, come take a look through my telescope
Trying to get girls from a brand? Then you hella won’t, man you hella won’t

[Hook]

[Bridge: Wanz]
I wear your granddad's clothes, I look incredible
I’m in this big ass coat from that thrift shop down the road
I wear your granddad's clothes, I look incredible
I’m in this big ass coat from that thrift shop down the road


[Hook]

7 comments:

Skye said...

I got a $5 perfect black cashmere sweater from Goodwill once. I should shop there or at the other nearby thrift store more often. I just forget.

Funny lyrics!

Robena Grant said...

You always come up with the best things to write about. You must be a keen observer of life. : )

Robena Grant said...

Forgot to say, I love dancing in the Batman onesie. : )

Judie said...

Dancing Batman onesie. Totally awesome.

This made my day!!

CiCi said...

Now THAT was fuckin awesome. That song should be one of my theme songs. It brings back some of the best shopping trips with my Mom and Aunt and you and Paul. Browsing through thrift stores is one of the most wonderful experiences in life. As I always say, it's an archaeological dig into my past. You can find everything there and let's face it - what's more fun that finding something you have absolutely no idea what it is and then challenging everyone you know to explain it?

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I like that you are so into your job!

London Mabel said...

@Skye - If you have a thrift store that's convenient to, then it's definitely worth it. And a good place to go if you're jonesing to shop, but are on a budget.

@Robena - lol Thanks! And I'm not picturing you dancing in a Batman onesie...

@Judie - I'm glad! :-D

@CiCi - It IS your theme song! - The last "what??" item we had was a box of "Moxibustion." Took two weeks before we finally remembered to look it up at home, and find out it's a Chinese therapy.

@JJJ - My job's pretty fun right now.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}