QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, December 2, 2012

I'm in love I'm in love I'm in love I'm in love with a wonderful baaaand!

I have a new friend and it turns out she LOVES music. Just sits here soaking up the sounds. I named her Betty Widdersley Brownlow, after my online peeps.


Here's a guy (and producer) I just discovered this week. You may have heard of him in the news because just days after my discovery a performing arts teacher was suspended for playing his pro-gay song in her classroom. She plays a song at the beginning of each class, for them to discuss, and when a student approached with this one she approved it. One student went to the principal to complain and she was suspended, that very day, without pay.

Here's the song, my fave part of the lyrics, and a letter Macklemore received from one of the students. You'll see from these lyrics that this is the perfect song to play and discuss with teenagers.

Have you read the YouTube comments lately?
"Man that's gay" gets dropped on the daily
We become so numb to what we're saying
A culture founded from oppression
Yet we don't have acceptance for 'em
Call each other faggots behind the keys of a message board
A word rooted in hate, yet our genre still ignores it
Gay is synonymous with the lesser



[Student letter - click to enlarge.]


He was nervous about playing in Republican states but said the audiences knew the lyrics better than elsewhere, and told him how his song made them change how they thought/talked about gay people.

I can't stand poorly made Art with a Message (I'm looking at you Kevin Smith!) I love this song because it's well done. Macklemore writes from the heart, and the music is beautiful, and Lewis' productions are gorgeous.

So far he hasn't signed to a label cause he wants to keep creative control, so here's my part in promoting him. :-) This is one of the best albums I bought this year. I'll put up other songs later.
 
 

5 comments:

Robena Grant said...

Gorgeous lyrics. I hadn't heard this one. What a shame that teacher had to suffer a suspension for allowing her students to listen to this awesome message.

Skye said...

Great lyrics. Of course the teacher got suspended: can't have the children thinking now, can we?

I love your new friend and her new name! :)

widdershins said...

Thank you Mabel ... on so many levels, for so many things.

widdershins said...

P.S. Excellent name for your new friend!

London Mabel said...

@Robena - A friend going to school in Michigan said he wasn't surprised at all. Yikes.

@Skye - I hope the school district takes this as a learning moment.

@widdershins - Thanks for hanging out with me here for so long! :-D

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}