QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cleaning house

So. I've been *filling the magic tank* in Storywonk speak. Watching good shows, listening to good music, reading good books, while building my upcoming world. I haven't even decided which of my stories to adapt to it. But at some point I do need to start writing.

However, I think the block right now is that my brain's sort of going into housecleaning mode. It wants me to make a budget. It wants me to re-read my car manual, organize my car papers, figure out when to get my oil changed. It wants me to... well my room's already cleanish, since I'm living with my parents. LOL. Yes, there's a permanent pile of clothes on the bed, but I have almost no cupboard space! And where else do you put something you've worn once but can wear again? On the spare bed of course.

I'm also completely behind in my blog reading. Except for Barb's blog... I was starting alphabetically, so I did read hers'. Didn't get far. It's not cause I don't want to read them--they tend to cheer me up, calm me, inspire me, make me laugh. It's just cause I'm DISORGANIZED. And I'm late finishing a beta read for Diva.

And now my mail program's got a glitch, so it looks like I'm not replying to mail.

But it's kind of a good feeling, you know? Like... dare I say it... my old self. Old Moi never liked to move on to creative endeavors while there were things needing a clear up. So I'll try to get those done, and just keep finding fashions for my planet people to wear... and see where I end up.

____LOVE SONG OF THE DAY____

Let's have one about clearing up! In this case, locking someone out of your life.

I'm the concierge chez moi, honey
Won't let you in for love nor money
My home, my joy
I'm barred and bolted and I
Won't let you in

  

6 comments:

Deborah Blake said...

I have a hard time being creative in the midst of clutter. (Not that my house is ever completely clutter free, mind you, but there are limits.)

Sometimes it is good to have a clear-out and reorganize before diving into a new project.

And can you get those plastic boxes that slide under the bed, and put your extra clothes in them?

Skye said...

I still have a novel that badly needs revision, major editing, and major rewriting. But it has to wait until I move now. I know I should have worked on it in the autumn, but I just couldn't. I totally understand. Some people say that whenever they sit down to write, suddenly they feel compelled to clean the kitchen floor or somesuch activity. It can be a way your mind tries to derail you from your creative endeavor, for whatever reasons. So maybe you need to divide up your time and allot specific time for the writing and specific time for the other stuff. Maybe that will keep the balance and allow you to write now rather than later.

Robena Grant said...

For me it's normal to do that house cleaning/organizing prior to starting a new book. Sometimes I even rearrange the office furniture. While I'm doing all of that I'm creating thoughts and doing world building in my mind. Ha ha. But, seriously, for me it works and afterward I'm free to write to my hearts content...until of course I hit a roadblock, but by then it's time to do housework again. ; )

widdershins said...

I like Deborah's idea ... or get a stackable set with drawers.

That list doesn't have anything to do with the deadly 'author procrastination' disease, does it?

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

I go through periods like this, too. Got to get everything in order. Haven't gone through one in a while and my room shows it.

London Mabel said...

@Deborah - My stepmother's already filled up the under beds!!

@Skye - It's stuff I need to do to clear my head. But I'm not worried about the writing--I'm filling up the creativity tank, and thinking about my world building. :-)

@Robena - Exactly. Exactly.

@widders - Not procrastination this time. ;-) I recognize. Maybe it's my chi, man, but it's like having channels that need clearing out before I can start a project. Like opening the windows in spring!

@JJJ - Oh yes... there is the fact that if we writers don't sometimes stop and clear up... our families would lose us.

* Thanks everyone! *

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}