QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

TV and Sugar

The Mystery of the Broken Needle has been solved. I think the plate got knocked slightly back a little when the machine fell over in the car. I practiced some stitches today. That's all I can handle in a day.

In writing news... I'm not. I think about my story every day, or do some research, but haven't hit the keys yet.

The depressions haven't been too bad lately, but I still find myself unable to do without TV and sugar. I even watched the first four episodes of The Carrie Diaries. And I've been staying up too late.

I haven't gained any weight, cause I'm on my feet 8 hours a day, 5 days/week. Which so far is balancing off all the sweets I'm eating. But all that sugar just isn't healthy--not mentally or physically.

I suspect the only way I might be able to dial it down is if I go back to my veganism. It's been about a year now, that I've been eating vegetarian--eating eggs and dairy again. There's only been so much I've felt capable of handling. But a little wee bitsy part of my brain is tugging in that direction again. Morally I definitely want to go back, and I'm pretty sure I will. Just not sure when.

In other le news, been rewatching Psych episodes, and they've got a promo right now using Janet Jackson's "Nasty Boys." So let's have her for our love song of the day, shall we?

____LOVE SONG OF THE DAY____


6 comments:

Skye said...

Good luck with the depression, the sugar, and the vegetarianism. Today I woke up with a sugar hangover due to having ice cream and cookies for dinner. This isn't a good thing so I believe I will avoid it for awhile. Made getting out of bed difficult.

Take care.

Robena Grant said...

Yes, I often suffer with the sugar slow downs.
I'm more energized when I eat fresh fruit and yogurt instead of candy and so called health bars and cookies. And I get more desire to write.
Thank goodness I'm too lazy to bake. Who knows what would happen then. I weaned myself off sugar a few years ago but then the stress started to build and I was buying chocolate kisses again. Must try again to stay away from the stuff.

inkgrrl said...

Made the mistake of buying old-fashioned candies to nosh on while I outline. Candies 1, me 0. Good point about the fruit and yogurt Robena, thank you. I definitely find my mood swings to the bad when too much sugar has been in my system... sometimes I wish these sorts of consequences were more immediately apparent - put down the cookie or you'll sleep for a week!

Judy,Judy,Judy. said...

I feel better without sugar and tv. I've broken the really bad habits I had a month ago but I till watch more that I want, which would be none, and eat more than I want, which would be a little.

London Mabel said...

Unfortunately I don't notice the difference if I've eaten too much sugar! So I have to intellectually motivate myself, just knowing that it suppressed the immune system etc etc. Not even talking no sugar, just less! Ah well. One day at a time.

I don't mind the TV really, cause I agree with the critics who call this a "golden age" of TV. There's so much excellent programming, I don't feel like it's time wasted. But that makes it even harder to limit and prioritize! lol

Julie said...

We are, once more, of like mind... (like brain?) I've never noticed the difference either. And I've also never figured out what "too much" sugar might be. Like, never.

In my case, I can't watch TV because I don't know how to run it (Dan has several "things" going "through" it with the set-up he's invented).

But yeah, I know how you feel, very much. We measure our successes as best we can.

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}