QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Even racoon's do it, and more entertainingly than your book

I think I've mentioned before the 3 megaton bomb test for stories. Or at least, that's what my dad has called it since, decades ago, I told him that the test of whether I like a book is: "If a bomb fell and killed all these characters, would I care?"

I was just checking in with Mernit's romantic comedy blog, and he's devised a new test for reading scripts and deciding whether they warrant a second look. He was getting ready for work and noticed two racoons having sex on the roof next door; and it so held his attention, he left for work late.

"I'd often been at a loss when asked what compels me to give a "Consider" to a screenplay. Now I can answer this, by posing a crucial question in response: Is the script more interesting than the sight of two raccoons humping?" (see blog for pictures!)

Something for all us writers to keep in mind. If a reader was only a few pages into our book, and someone asked them to come see two racoons humping, would they say "just a minute" or fling your book away?

lol

____LOVE SONG OF THE DAY____


6 comments:

Skye said...

Wow. That raises the bar to a whole new level!

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

I'm supposed to compete with racoons humping. Come on. That's just setting me up to lose. I think not.

widdershins said...

Don't click on the link ... don't click on the link ... don't cl

London Mabel said...

lol, lol and lol to you all

You're right--who could compete??

ladada said...

For most males at least, it could be two "anythings" humping and the author would fail the test. Make it "three" anythings and the writer hasn't even a ghost of a chance!

London Mabel said...

What if I start my story with two racoons humping? Does that count?

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}