QUOTE OF THE NOW

"Our life evokes our character. You find out more about yourself as you go on. That's why it's good to be able to put yourself in situations that will evoke your higher nature rather than your lower. 'Lead us not into temptation.'" Joseph Campbell

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Updateroos

Okay, I've started my new budget. Emphasis on the word started.

I've got to tackle this room... I'm gonna find out what's hiding under these beds, see if I can fit more! And maybe get rid of some of my clothes. Working at the Sally Anne I have lots of cute new things.

I have the materials I need for my First Sewing Project.

And in the "feed your magic" category I've been watching Psych (20 free episodes on their site!), Girls, and The Carrie Diaries.

In movie reviews: Saw Silver Linings Playbook a couple weeks ago, it was excellent.

In books: I brought Bleak House to read on my work breaks. I estimate it will take me 5 years, 2 months and 20 days to read 800 pages in 15 minute increments.

In writing: I figured out an important part of my world building, on my break (instead of reading Bleak House) finally figured out how to adapt my last short story to this world. Now know what to write when I start back up.

In weather: I kept saying I wouldn't appreciate the mild winter here until spring arrived; cause until then I'd just keep thinking it was October with winter still on the way. Well, it's February--shittiest month of the year in Quebec--and there's buds on the trees. That was it. That was winter.

In driving news: Now when I leave work it isn't dark so I can see the scenery. It's a driving hazard. There's a spot where you're doing a semi-hairpin turn, and the scenery keeps flashing you through the trees, and one day I'm gonna drive right off the road and die.

There are two other Evils to driving in this town. The pedestrians, who are so used to cars stopping for them that they're not as careful as Quebec pedestrians--who know death is only one misplaced footstep away.

And deer. Luckily the hoofians are much more cautious than the pedestrians. They've been around all winter, but with spring coming I'll be on high alert. One walk last summer I counted 14.

____LOVE SONG OF THE DAY____

These feelings won't go away
They've been knockin' me sideways
They've been knockin' me out lately
Whenever you come around me

7 comments:

Judy, Judy, Judy said...

Sounds like you got lots going on. Couple of things we have in common. I'm working on my room right now. And I have a sewing project I want to do.
I a'int reading Bleak House, though. Even the name sends me running.

Kris said...

Lots of updates! Beautiful song, I also Silver Linings Playbook just yesterday...loved it! Adored Tiffany

widdershins said...

We had a bit of a flurry here this morning, but it was just Dame Winter flouncing her skirts on her way out the door!

CiCi said...

I saw my first crocus at the dog park last week. That's when I knew it was spring at the coast!

ladada said...

Bleak House on PBS (iTunes) is great! Took a while to even reconize "Scully," from X-files ... what's her name? Dana something? Much better actress than revealed by X-files.

ladada said...

Gillian Anderson!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX8dGtyhSHk

London Mabel said...

@JJJ - You don't need to read Bleak House, but you might want to watch it! As my dad said, it's so good and Gillian Anderson's fantastic. And not especially bleak--it's just the name of the house the characters live in.

@Kris - I love how they sidestepped most of the possible clichés.

@widders - Dame Winter does like her drama.

@CiCi - I used to judge spring in Quebec by the ice retreating on the lake. Bit different!

Reading

Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
Les années douces : Volume 1
Back on the Rez
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
Stupeur et tremblements
}